Yellow Carpet Anemone PLEASE HELP!!!!

TheReefer00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to have a tear on it what should I do? Its been fine for a week now and come home from work to find the edge of it with a split. Nothing is around it what could have done it?

fragtastic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture would be a big help. What type of carpet anemone are we talking about here?

fragtastic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stichodactyla doesn't really help, that's the "S." in the following:

S. haddoni,
S. gigantea,
S. tapetum,
S. mertensii

all of which have differing care requirements. A picture really would be useful...

Barring that, is it on your rocks or in the sand? Describe the tentacles (approximate length). Does the underside of the column have "bumps" on it? If so, are they the same or a contrasting color?

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TheReefer00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YouTube - Yellow Carpet Anemone Fred's 65 Gallon Reef 9-27-09 heres a video taking a couple of days ago(not hurt yet). I believe haddoni but not positive. It is on its own rock in moderate currurt under a 250 watt metal halide. It looks healthy except for the tear. The Tenacles are small(1/8in maybe 2) but the anemone is only 6'in(baby). Hopefully you can help idenify. Thanks I'll take a video of the problem tomorrow please check back. Thanks again for ur help.

fragtastic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
S. haddoni anemones prefer to have their "foot" buried in the sand, attached to an immovable object like a large rock. However, I've never seen a yellow S. haddoni anemone. The closest I've seen to yellow ones are actually green ones that are severely bleached and are usually not long for this world.

I wasn't able to make much out in the video... wasn't really able to tell if you had an anemone or a yellow leather.

Defaulting to generic advice then: if the anemone is firmly attached to the rock the best you can do is leave it alone and provide it with pristine water conditions. I wouldn't feed it if you see any signs of ripping or damage for fear of introducing/exacerbating some sort of bacterial infection.

How long have you had this anemone? Have you fed it?

Mark

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 31.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 28.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back