Yellow filter sticker on front glass, a stupid of genius idea?

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,
as we all know our corals get the nicest colors with blue light .
annoying part is that out eyes really don’t like the blue light all that much.
In fact next to my aquarium I keep some yellow safety googles:
2AA4D995-AB99-451D-8656-222783D367B4.jpeg

because observing tank through them allows me to see the best colors , without overwhelming blue tones.

so I was thinking…
What if instead I applied a vynil wrap filter on it, something like these ones:
0B1B579E-3884-4AB8-9D09-A7BC3D099188.jpeg

wouldn’t that be an ideal way to see the reefs true beauty ?

I’m curious if someone did that , and if they know what brand of wrap they used, what are the thoughts?
I think it would be an amazing wow factor because even from afar you’d be able to see the beautiful corals, instead of a blue glowing box.
Looking forward to hearing the thoughts

welsher7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this has come up before and someone mentioned their LFS has a few tanks that are partially covered with a yellow film. I think there may have been pictures in the post as well.

welsher7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last post in this thread shows someone trying it out.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it not be easier to just add more white light? I get that some people like the way over blue florescent "pop" but just add white light if you want to see natural. I think my best colors come out with a spectrum geared closer do daylight.

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last post in this thread shows someone trying it out.

An Amazing find, that’s exactly what I want to do. It’s a bit annoying that you can’t really take good pictures of this due to our phones seeing blue light differently than us. Thanks

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,
In fact next to my aquarium I keep some yellow safety googles
Have you compared them to the orange tinted glasses? I got a pair a couple years ago from R2R at RAP and colors look great! I’ll have to try the yellow filters to judge them myself.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,
In fact next to my aquarium I keep some yellow safety googles:
2AA4D995-AB99-451D-8656-222783D367B4.jpeg

because observing tank through them allows me to see the best colors , without overwhelming blue tones.

so I was thinking…
What if instead I applied a vynil wrap filter on it, something like these ones:
0B1B579E-3884-4AB8-9D09-A7BC3D099188.jpeg

wouldn’t that be an ideal way to see the reefs true beauty ?

I’m curious if someone did that , and if they know what brand of wrap they used, what are the thoughts?
I think it would be an amazing wow factor because even from afar you’d be able to see the beautiful corals, instead of a blue glowing box.
Looking forward to hearing the thoughts

I know it might be a shock and way out of line, BUT, you can adjust the lights to make it more appealing to look at.

Corals should look good under both a more full spectrum with more white light, and still pop under blue light.

Now, if you're talking taking photos, especially with a phone, a filter is almost a necessity. The way the camera filters and adjust to blue light washes everything out and needs a filter to get correct color rendition.

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you compared them to the orange tinted glasses? I got a pair a couple years ago from R2R at RAP and colors look great! I’ll have to try the yellow filters to judge them myself.
I don't have any orange ones, but I imagine they are the same since in reality they all just filter the blue light. I think I might try to get some of those vynil stickers and perhaps do the side first, then if I like it I'll do the full tank

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it might be a shock and way out of line, BUT, you can adjust the lights to make it more appealing to look at.

Corals should look good under both a more full spectrum with more white light, and still pop under blue light.

Now, if you're talking taking photos, especially with a phone, a filter is almost a necessity. The way the camera filters and adjust to blue light washes everything out and needs a filter to get correct color rendition.
true, and I do keep some white in there, but in reality, blue light is quite bad for eyes, which is probably the reason why we don't really like it, especially If we keep looking at it.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back