Yellow Tang died

Danny N

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2244.JPG
I'm wondering what may have killed my fish. By all accounts the fish was acting fine, eating, not scratching or anything, but did have these dark spots on its side. This was the side it was laying on, so I suppose it could be it's own blood kind of pooled there.
Water parameters are all within acceptable ranges..

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those worms on the stomach and side of the fish? Are they attached? I actually see one on the pectoral fin as well.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish I just can't think of what these are, though I know I've seen them before.

OP
OP
Danny N

Danny N

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I just thought that was some fish poop in the sand from where I picked it up. I would have never considered worms...

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this (quoted below) taken from here: http://ag.ansc.purdue.edu/courses/aq448/diseases/parasites.htm
Posthodiplostomum minimum: This trematode has several synonyms including: Neodiplostomum minimum, Neodiplostomum orchilongum and Postodiplostomum orchilongum. The life cycle of this trematode is very similar to that of D. spathaceum above, although, infectivity of cercariae to fishes lasts no more than 24 hours after release from the snail. Each cercaria actively raises a scale and enters under the scale pocket, causing irritation to the fish. Blood, congestion and hemorrhage occur at the bases of fins or other places of cercarial penetration. The trematodes migrate from the point of entry to visceral organs of the fishes, usually within one to three hours after penetration. Metacercariae are located in any organ of the fishes’ body, but are generally more numerous in the liver, kidney, heart, spleen and other organs of abdominal viscera. With many of the digenetic trematodes, the metacercariae within the skin results in increased melanin deposition, hence the term “black spot disease”. (Photo demonstrates "black grub" in the fin of an affected fish). Visible white or yellow spots in the visceral organs, usually no larger than 1 mm in diameter are often referred to as “white grubs” (photo) or “yellow grubs” (photomicrograph demonstrates "yellow grub" in muscle tissue of affected fish) and could be caused by several trematode species. Diagnosis of digenetic trematode infections is dependent upon identification of the genus and species of the trematode within infected fish.

Photo:
blackgrubgross.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if prazipro or general cure would be effective in this case. If they were on the yellow tang, they might be on the other fish.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if prazipro or general cure would be effective in this case. If they were on the yellow tang, they might be on the other fish.

Dactylogyrus trematodes are the "other flukes" we almost never see - but supposedly Prazipro does treat them.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dactylogyrus trematodes are the "other flukes" we almost never see - but supposedly Prazipro does treat them.

See that's where I saw them! In one of those studies from Florida. "Trematodes" triggers my memory on it. Not that I could find it now that I want to. lol

So. @Danny N Prazi in the display this yellow tang came out of would be prudent I'd say. Then monitor closely after to be sure no more of these pop up on the rest of the fish.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow never seen that before!

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't the same as black ich is it???? This is a different worm, right? I'm asking because that paragraph above mentions "black spot disease".

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't the same as black ich is it???? This is a different worm, right? I'm asking because that paragraph above mentions "black spot disease".
No, this is much different. Black ich gets its name because it looks like a black version of white ich.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back