Yellow Tang! Help

Kenneth's Tropical Fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I just put my yellow tang in one of my 6 quarantine/hospital 10 gal tanks. He isnt looking good I dosed Paraguard into the tank yesterday and fed him mysis shrimp with Vit C mixed with Metroplex and Hikari Seaweed pellets that claim to contain 67% seaweed its a herb pellet. He looks like he is wasting away and Im running out of time. Anyone have experience with this type of sickness?
20180919_102836.jpeg
20180919_102842.jpeg
20180919_102904.jpeg
20180919_102910.jpeg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had him? Did you move him from a larger system? He looks rough, but if you get him eating, he has a chance. Have you done a fresh water dip? you may have to medicate the tank. Just make sure you are aware it could kill the bacteria in your system and you will need to do water changes regularly. Do not do this if you have inverts in there though.

OP
OP
K

Kenneth's Tropical Fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had him? Did you move him from a larger system? He looks rough, but if you get him eating, he has a chance. Have you done a fresh water dip? you may have to medicate the tank. Just make sure you are aware it could kill the bacteria in your system and you will need to do water changes regularly. Do not do this if you have inverts in there though.
Ive had him for two months and he was in a 120. I dosed the tank with paraguard but not sure what it is...he was eating yesterday and I fed him small serving all day and he wasnt getting plump from eating so I dont know where all the food is going.

OP
OP
K

Kenneth's Tropical Fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent done a freshwater dip yet

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is really thin. Could be a few things, but he could be wasting away. I would not bother with fresh dip at this point. He looks stressed out enough. I bet if he passes and you were to do a necropsy, he would have liver necrosis. I hope he starts gaining weight for you. Go through the med protocol for metaplex and feed him lots of nori and algae pellets.

OP
OP
K

Kenneth's Tropical Fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss, Kenneth.

If he was actively eating, but still losing weight and condition, he may have had an internal parasite of some sort. White, stringy poo is another giveaway symptom that lets us know such parasites are infecting our fish.

I use API "General Cure" in combination with Seachem's "Focus" to combat these critters - one "Seachem measure" of each to about a tablespoon of food, and the medication is delivered right where it'll do the most good . . . so long as the fish are eating. This treatment is considered reef-safe - but don't target-feed corals with it.

~Bruce

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 42 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back