Yellow tang, is he healthy?

FloatinBy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems fine and is swimming well and eatting just fine but heres some pics. He is in a 20 gal QT with coppersafe. Been there for 1 week today. Im concerned with the darkend area up front on him.
20180221_083004.jpg
20180221_083030.jpg
20180221_083027.jpg
20180221_083024.jpg
20180221_083025.jpg
20180221_082945.jpg
20180221_082614.jpg
20180221_082623.jpg
20180221_083030.jpg
20180221_083010.jpg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a second I thought I saw black ich. But it appears that some of the photos just have small black dots on glass, cause he looks clear on other photos.

I would say that he has early stages of HLLE, common in copper treatment for a tang. Feeding vitamin enriched prepared frozen foods and offering Nori will help this!

OP
OP
F

FloatinBy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im feeding him rods food, frozen mysis shrimp, omega one super veggie green seaweed and just got hikari sewead extreme wafers

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dark areas are just his internal organs. He's thin, so you can see somewhat through him. As he gains weight, you will see that less and less. Feed lots of greens and he should fatten up. Otherwise, he doesn't look bad...

OP
OP
F

FloatinBy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dark areas are just his internal organs. He's thin, so you can see somewhat through him. As he gains weight, you will see that less and less. Feed lots of greens and he should fatten up. Otherwise, he doesn't look bad...
Ok good like i said above i vary his food as i do all my fish bc idk thought i read somewhere that it was a good idea to do so. I do put blanched lettuce in as well occasionally. Is the ok? I know it is no where near as nutritionally as all my other options.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good like i said above i vary his food as i do all my fish bc idk thought i read somewhere that it was a good idea to do so. I do put blanched lettuce in as well occasionally. Is the ok? I know it is no where near as nutritionally as all my other options.

Yes the fish should be fine. If you are interested here is what I order off of amazon for Nori. I put a full sheet in my DT every day but I have several tangs. if you are just feeding one you may only need a 10th of a sheet or so a day. Basically you want enough for them to graze on for 3/4 of the day or so. Amazon does offer a smaller portion as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Nutrit...22901&sr=8-4&keywords=ocean+nutrition+seaweed

https://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Nutrit...22901&sr=8-1&keywords=ocean+nutrition+seaweed

OP
OP
F

FloatinBy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the fish should be fine. If you are interested here is what I order off of amazon for Nori. I put a full sheet in my DT every day but I have several tangs. if you are just feeding one you may only need a 10th of a sheet or so a day. Basically you want enough for them to graze on for 3/4 of the day or so. Amazon does offer a smaller portion as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Nutrit...22901&sr=8-4&keywords=ocean+nutrition+seaweed

https://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Nutrit...22901&sr=8-1&keywords=ocean+nutrition+seaweed
Well i guess ill increase the nori strips bc i only do every other day but im going to use different brand. This brand floats upwards when on clip on he just breaks it off and i find it floating at top of tank and then he just ignores it

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I always knew eating greens makes me fat. that's why I don't ;)

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Variety is definitely best, but lean more towards vegetable based foods for tangs, rather than meaty foods. Especially while he's in isolation. Nori, spirulina, etc., as well as the veggie foods you mentioned above are going to be best. Personally, I wouldn't worry about blanching lettuce. They can eat foods like romaine or chickory raw. Don't even bother with iceberg.

OP
OP
F

FloatinBy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Variety is definitely best, but lean more towards vegetable based foods for tangs, rather than meaty foods. Especially while he's in isolation. Nori, spirulina, etc., as well as the veggie foods you mentioned above are going to be best. Personally, I wouldn't worry about blanching lettuce. They can eat foods like romaine or chickory raw. Don't even bother with iceberg.
Its romaine i have for him. Icebuerg is usless to humans so kinda figured same for fish. Well ill be out today getting more plant foods. Assuming i should get thw veggie rods food for him instead of the red meaty one i have now?

OP
OP
F

FloatinBy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a second I thought I saw black ich. But it appears that some of the photos just have small black dots on glass, cause he looks clear on other photos.

I would say that he has early stages of HLLE, common in copper treatment for a tang. Feeding vitamin enriched prepared frozen foods and offering Nori will help this!
Sorry the black dots are part of the silicone used to seal the glass....it was a cheap tank apparently. No leaks but i keep noticing spots here and there that i missed wipping that black rubber crap off of.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its romaine i have for him. Icebuerg is usless to humans so kinda figured same for fish. Well ill be out today getting more plant foods. Assuming i should get thw veggie rods food for him instead of the red meaty one i have now?

For sure.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a little HLLE starting up, but that should clear once he is out of copper. As mentioned above, soaking vitamins in his food and feeding nori will help.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 20.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back