Yellow tang not eating??

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This poor gal hasn't been eating properly for quite some time - or she's not receiving the nutrition she's been consuming. How long have you had her?

~Bruce
Yeah I agree with Bruce the YT was pretty emaciated and the outlook wasn't good no matter what you did. Sorry for your loss! I would keep a strong eye on the other fish.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None that I could see... she didn’t make it through the night

loss.gif

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other symptoms? Swimming in to powerheads, “dustings”, white spots, scratching, flashing, hiding from light, breathing heavily?

About how large is the fish?
Sorry I know this is an old post, but I'm wondering why you mentioned "hiding from light". I have a YT that has recently (last few days) been hiding under a cave. No new additions of fish. It used to veraciously eat nori and everything, but over the last few days it doesn't seem to care about food, or the nori, and just prefers to swim around back and hide.

I've had it for about 8 or 9 months.. Other fish seem ok and all love to eat. I haven't changed my lighting or anything. Not sure what happened. I did have a BTA that moved around where it used to sleep, and has since moved to the other side of the tank.. is it possible it got stung or ticked by that and is just freaking out? That BTA moved about a week ago.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I know this is an old post, but I'm wondering why you mentioned "hiding from light". I have a YT that has recently (last few days) been hiding under a cave. No new additions of fish. It used to veraciously eat nori and everything, but over the last few days it doesn't seem to care about food, or the nori, and just prefers to swim around back and hide.

I've had it for about 8 or 9 months.. Other fish seem ok and all love to eat. I haven't changed my lighting or anything. Not sure what happened. I did have a BTA that moved around where it used to sleep, and has since moved to the other side of the tank.. is it possible it got stung or ticked by that and is just freaking out? That BTA moved about a week ago.
It is possible. Fish hiding from light literally often hide and stop eating with some parasites -- very often with velvet. If you aren't seeing heavy breathing or small "dusting" or "spots", or not swimming in to powerheads it probably isn't velvet. But it could be that it was stung, sure.

If it won't eat, live brine seems to get tangs eating again. :)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back