Yellow tang not interested in mysis or nori

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My yellow tang has not been showing interest in mysis or nori. I feed a few times daily and he never goes for any of it. He does however pick at the rocks a lot and some gha that's on the pumps (when off for feeding). Should I be concerned? He's not fat but also not skinny or seemingly losing weight. Looks normal.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would offer more types of food. Fresh seafood from the grocery store and some different macro algaes

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try to cut the nori up into bite size pieces, my fish wouldn’t touch the sheets but will eat nori if a cut it up into little soldiers for them!

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe try to cut the nori up into bite size pieces, my fish wouldn’t touch the sheets but will eat nori if a cut it up into little soldiers for them!
He ignores any pieces floating by

I've tried
Mysis
Nori
Particulated nori
Pellets
Seaweed extreme pellets
Formula 2 flakes

mijan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you offering the nori? My Tomini Tang will not touch nori if I put it in a clip on the glass. I have to place it amongst the rocks where he grazes for him to be interested in it.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried
Mysis
Nori
Particulated nori
Pellets
Seaweed extreme pellets
Formula 2 flakes
I don’t know about Tangs, but from your list I don’t really see anything a picky eater would like there apart from the nori, mine all leave mysis.

If the rock doesn’t work, maybe try loads of different frozen foods, brine shrimp is a good one that they all like, mine all go mad for lobster eggs, I would try and keep the nori on the rock for as long as you can incase he starts picking at it.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t know about Tangs, but from your list I don’t really see anything a picky eater would like there apart from the nori, mine all leave mysis.

If the rock doesn’t work, maybe try loads of different frozen foods, brine shrimp is a good one that they all like, mine all go mad for lobster eggs, I would try and keep the nori on the rock for as long as you can incase he starts picking at it.
Ok I'll pick up some brine today and do some nori on a rock. I have some fishing line so I can drop it in and get it out fairly easily.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My yellow tang has not been showing interest in mysis or nori. I feed a few times daily and he never goes for any of it. He does however pick at the rocks a lot and some gha that's on the pumps (when off for feeding). Should I be concerned? He's not fat but also not skinny or seemingly losing weight. Looks normal.
Try:
Spirulina brine shrimp
Baste the nori with garlic extract
LRS herbivore diet
Small plankton
Formula 2 flake and frozen

Add selcon vitamins and garlic extract to the foods

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmn, that's unfortunate. Fish that was eating and then stops Is usually either some kind of aggression from a newly added fish or disease. Absent any external symptoms, hard to say what to do. Always worth trying some different foods.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Assure salinity and temperatures are good and low ammonia and nitrate
What test kits are you using ?

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmmn, that's unfortunate. Fish that was eating and then stops Is usually either some kind of aggression from a newly added fish or disease. Absent any external symptoms, hard to say what to do. Always worth trying some different foods.
There is a purple in the tank w him. They do slap tails occasionally.

Oldcoder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it is worth I can not get mine to eat anything but Purple seaweed from two little fishies. Each fish has a different personality

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For what it is worth I can not get mine to eat anything but Purple seaweed from two little fishies. Each fish has a different personality
hmm, I have some of that, I'm going to try that. In the mean time I have a trap in the tank, I'll try to snag him or the purple and give one of them a timeout in the sump for a little bit. Hopefully the purple ;)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a purple in the tank w him. They do slap tails occasionally.
Yeah, but you have to look for something that has changed. Is the purple new? Has the level of aggression suddenly increased. A yellow and a purple will never be 'friends', but they typically tolerate each other .... unless, one is new. Chasing water quality is likely pointless, unless multiple fish are showing worrisome signs.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, but you have to look for something that has changed. Is the purple new? Has the level of aggression suddenly increased. A yellow and a purple will never be 'friends', but they typically tolerate each other .... unless, one is new. Chasing water quality is likely pointless, unless multiple fish are showing worrisome signs.

No changes other than adding two corals that were in QT for 77 days (small frags). Purple and yellow went in at the same time. I'd say aggression has slightly increased as of the past 3 weeks. This is not a water quality issue, I agree. All other fish are happy and fat.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back