Yellow Tang white Mouth

bcournoyer5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have recently noticed my yellow tang has developed a white coloration on its mouth. He is acting normally and nothing new has been added to the tank in weeks. You cannot notice it in pictures so that’s why I did not post one with this topic. It is almost like a white coating of some sort on his “lips” if you will. Anyone know what this might be?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have recently noticed my yellow tang has developed a white coloration on its mouth. He is acting normally and nothing new has been added to the tank in weeks. You cannot notice it in pictures so that’s why I did not post one with this topic. It is almost like a white coating of some sort on his “lips” if you will. Anyone know what this might be?
Can you provide pictures to help with diagnosis? I know you said it's hard to see, but it may help. Has it been nipping at any corals?

OP
OP
B

bcournoyer5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide pictures to help with diagnosis? I know you said it's hard to see, but it may help. Has it been nipping at any corals?

No corals in the tank. Sorry I forgot to say it’s a FOWLR tanks with some clean up crew members, but not many. I will try to get a picture

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No corals in the tank. Sorry I forgot to say it’s a FOWLR tanks with some clean up crew members, but not many. I will try to get a picture
Sounds good :) could be a bacterial infection or fungal infection of some sort then. What types of food are you feeding it?

OP
OP
B

bcournoyer5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good :) could be a bacterial infection or fungal infection of some sort then. What types of food are you feeding it?

I feed a varied diet of new life spectrum pellets, seaweed extreme pellets, saltwater salad nori sheets, spirulina brine shrimp frozen food, marine cuisine frozen food, emerald entree frozen food, omega brine shrimp frozen food, and plankton frozen food

OP
OP
B

bcournoyer5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

No that is not ich on my yellow eye kole tang just some micro bubbles

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is either a bacterial infection, or scale loss from nipping too hard at LG on the rocks because it's hungry (dont think that's the case though hades off how much you're feeding) I'm not really sure what else it could be so I'm going to see if the #reefsquad has any other ideas :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look like a bacterial infection to me.

I recommend combining Furan-2 + Seachem Sulfaplex (or API Triple Sulfa) in a QT. The sulfa drugs seem to do better for treating mouth infections.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 42 23.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 105 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back