Yellow watchman goby not getting oxygen??

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my other fish and invertebrates are doing great in my 2 month old tank. I then add a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp and after a week by goby is how on the verge of dying and looks to be gasping for air. One of his gills look brown too, why is this happening?? I have 2 425 gph powerhead and 265 gph output is pointed at surface of water. It’s a biocube 32

Picasso Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try isolating the fish in a QT tank with an air stone if you can, it sounds pretty sick. If you can’t isolate, put an air stone in the biocube for now, hopefully someone with disease knowledge can help you on medication :)

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try isolating the fish in a QT tank with an air stone if you can, it sounds pretty sick. If you can’t isolate, put an air stone in the biocube for now, hopefully someone with disease knowledge can help you on medication :)
I have a airstone connected to a volcano in my freshwater tank but no extra airstone to put in my reef tank

Picasso Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you disconnect it from the volcano and put it into your salt? You can rinse and return to volcano later

Benhuan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was your goby shipped to you? Could have been ammonia burns from when you cut the bag open if ammonia built up in the package during shipping

Picasso Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try, pistol shrimp seems to be trying to grab the goby now :/
That’s not good, he’ll probably act like cuc if the goby is dead/dying. Try to protect him with something like a solo cup with the bottom cut out and holes punched in it placed upside down. Make sure it has good flow.

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was your goby shipped to you? Could have been ammonia burns from when you cut the bag open if ammonia built up in the package during shipping
How would that happen and yes it was shipped from LA

Picasso Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish produces waste (poop, breathing, etc) and this creates ammonia, which is toxic. Since the shipping bag has no filter or way to remove this ammonia, it accumulates in the bag and begins to poison the fish and burn the gills, making it difficult for him to breathe. This is why usually fish are shipped in bags that look way too big for them, it’s so the ratio of ammonia to clean water stays relatively low. If a fish stays in a bag with not enough water/too long the ammonia hurts the fish and can sometimes even kill it, this is a result of poor shipping/packaging. Where did you buy him from?

Benhuan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s chemistry, when the bag is sealed the ph drops and the ammonia built up is less toxic but when u open the bag the increase in oxygen brings ph up with increases the ammonia toxicity and is dangerous especially when drip acclimating over long periods of time. I would suggest a Methylene Blue bath. Find @Humblefish post about it.

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish produces waste (poop, breathing, etc) and this creates ammonia, which is toxic. Since the shipping bag has no filter or way to remove this ammonia, it accumulates in the bag and begins to poison the fish and burn the gills, making it difficult for him to breathe. This is why usually fish are shipped in bags that look way too big for them, it’s so the ratio of ammonia to clean water stays relatively low. If a fish stays in a bag with not enough water/too long the ammonia hurts the fish and can sometimes even kill it, this is a result of poor shipping/packaging. Where did you buy him from?
Live aquaria and he seemed fine the first week, but he took a major turn for the worst today. He probably won’t make it

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how long it was in the bag, but if a long time it’s just swimming in it’s own waste. I’d check your water parameters too (Salinity, Ammonia, Nitrates, and PH)
It’s chemistry, when the bag is sealed the ph drops and the ammonia built up is less toxic but when u open the bag the increase in oxygen brings ph up with increases the ammonia toxicity and is dangerous especially when drip acclimating over long periods of time. I would suggest a Methylene Blue bath. Find @Humblefish post about it.
I took him out of the bag immidiately and put it in a bucket with its water and then slowly added my water by the cup every 15 mins for an hour and a half

Benhuan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took him out of the bag immidiately and put it in a bucket with its water and then slowly added my water by the cup every 15 mins for an hour and a half
I would think that’s probably why as ammonia burns take a while to show up and seems to be what has happened to your fish. Try Methylene Blue bath ASAP.

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that’s probably why as ammonia burns take a while to show up and seems to be what has happened to your fish. Try Methylene Blue bath ASAP.
What is that and how do I do it

Benhuan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is that and how do I do it

Picasso Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A+ on the blue bath. Look up the HumbleFish method, he’s very knowledgeable about the medications and how to use them. If you don’t have methylene blue or similar on hand then try the cup and air stone. It’s probably too late to get anything as 10:30 is a little late for most shops that’d carry fish meds to be open.

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does petco sell that stuff? Or would I need to buy it online. Also for a QT tank is like a small 3 gallon tank with an airstone and filter fine to keep one fish in for a few days?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.0%
Back