Yellow Watchman Goby Regrets: What I saw was Terrifying

NanoReefer2025

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,
I have some saddening news, for me anyway. Yesterday, I got a watchman goby from my LFS for my 25 gallon AIO that I set up last November. Acclimation went smooth enough. I added a little bit of tank water every five minutes for 45 minutes in all. After that it disappeared, but I wasn’t too concerned because I read that this is normal. Just 30 ish minutes ago, I checked on the tank and what I saw was horrific. The once-bright yellow goby was a sickly gray, its fins tattered, and my scarlet hermit crab enjoying its remains. Sorry, I don’t have any good pictures. I am not sure entirely what happened. I figured that perhaps the hermit crab was not getting enough food and cornered the goby in the burrow that it was digging. Or maybe the goby simply wasn’t strong enough to survive the stresses of moving to a new tank. I am very new in the hobby, so I could use any advice for avoiding this in the future.

SteveEreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for your loss. Are the other fish in the tank fine? What is the LFS. procedure for fish they get in? Do they quarantine and or medicate with copper/ formalin? How was the fish at the LFS? Did you watch him eat? Do you quarantine your new fish before they go into your display tank?

BamboozleBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry to hear that, I don’t think a hermit crab would be able to kill a watchman goby. Unless it was really really tiny, and even then. Considering the longest amount of time it could be dead is 24 hours it’s concerning that it would’ve lost all color and be completely tattered. I would have your water tested and inquire about your LFS recent purchase death policy.

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you make sure that as you were acclimating to the tank water, you were also acclimating to temp? I've made the mistake of acclimating to temp, then to tank water but forgot to reacclimate to temp after and it died very quickly like that.

OP
OP
NanoReefer2025

NanoReefer2025

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for responding quickly. Looking at your replies really convinced me that I have to make some changes to my methods. SteveEreef, to answer your question, the other fish are fine, but they are clownfish, so they are pretty hardy anyway. I am disappointed in myself for not asking more questions at my local fish store. I don’t have a clue what their procedures are. However, after I got home, I did notice some discoloration on the mouth of the goby, but that my be totally unrelated. Also, I am on a budget so I do not quarantine the fish, although I am saving up to get a quarantine tank eventually. Also, I did not temperature acclimate a second time. It just hadn’t occurred to me honestly.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for responding quickly. Looking at your replies really convinced me that I have to make some changes to my methods. SteveEreef, to answer your question, the other fish are fine, but they are clownfish, so they are pretty hardy anyway. I am disappointed in myself for not asking more questions at my local fish store. I don’t have a clue what their procedures are. However, after I got home, I did notice some discoloration on the mouth of the goby, but that my be totally unrelated. Also, I am on a budget so I do not quarantine the fish, although I am saving up to get a quarantine tank eventually. Also, I did not temperature acclimate a second time. It just hadn’t occurred to me honestly.
My QT tanks are clear Rubbermaid totes with lids, a powerhead connected to a sponge filter, an inexpensive heater, a few pvc elbows, and an Ammonia Alert Badge... very low cost.

OP
OP
NanoReefer2025

NanoReefer2025

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My QT tanks are clear Rubbermaid totes with lids, a powerhead connected to a sponge filter, an inexpensive heater, a few pvc elbows, and an Ammonia Alert Badge... very low cost.
Hmm, I could do that. I suppose I was over complicating the idea of the quarantine tank. Thanks for the input! What brand heater do you use?

Back