Yellow watchman goby Strange cyst

andrecr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

Las week I noticed my Yellow watchman goby had a strange cyst on his belly.
My LFS said it might be a fungus but that it wasn't harmful.
Today it evolved and it is ripping the scales...

Can you guys help me identify it and what possible treatment I can do to the little guy?
IMG_20201110_204246.jpg
IMG_20201110_204226_1.jpg

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better people than myself on the forum. Looks like abscess to me. For as long as the Goby displays normal behaviour watch and wait. Any downturn hospital tank and antibiotics. Eg metronidazole. Good luck with the little guy.

OP
OP
andrecr

andrecr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better people than myself on the forum. Looks like abscess to me. For as long as the Goby displays normal behaviour watch and wait. Any downturn hospital tank and antibiotics. Eg metronidazole. Good luck with the little guy.
Thanks for the help mate! I hope the little guy gets better

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue with that lesion is its location - if it develops just a bit deeper, it will reach the body cavity and that will be fatal. That may not happen, fingers crossed. The blue treatment would be a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic in a treatment tank. However, that would take time to work, so I wold just observe the fish....
Jay

OP
OP
andrecr

andrecr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue with that lesion is its location - if it develops just a bit deeper, it will reach the body cavity and that will be fatal. That may not happen, fingers crossed. The blue treatment would be a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic in a treatment tank. However, that would take time to work, so I wold just observe the fish....
Jay
Thanks for your help Jay, I'll make sure to keep you guys updated on his health

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue with that lesion is its location - if it develops just a bit deeper, it will reach the body cavity and that will be fatal. That may not happen, fingers crossed. The best treatment would be a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic in a treatment tank. However, that would take time to work, so I would just observe the fish....
Jay
Thanks for chiming in.:)

OP
OP
andrecr

andrecr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little guy is still batteling the disease the first cyst poped and is starting to heal, another on the left side poped and is healing too. But a third one appeared today and it seems another one seems to be growing
Hope he gets through this, his friend shrimp is always with him
IMG_20201120_224936.jpg
IMG_20201120_224917.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could tell you what that is - there is an issue known as Myxosporidians. It isn't treatable, but the lesions are similar:
1605913522564.png

Here is some information I wrote up about it:

Microsporidians were once thought to be protozoans, but are now considered more closely related to fungi. They are obligate intracellular parasites, and create lesions called xenomas. One of the more commonly seen, called Glugea, creates white, smooth masses inside and outside of infected fish. Some people may mistake these growths for Cryptocaryon, but any spot that stays in the same position on a fish for more than a few days is not Cryptocaryon. Pseudoloma neurophilia is a common microsporidian pathogen found in zebrafish (Danio rerio) ay research facilities. It causes emaciation and skeletal deformities, and thus may be confused with the symptoms of Mycobacterium sp. infections. There is no routine treatment for these diseases, but borrowing from a treatment used to control Nosema infections in honey bees, one experimental treatment has been proposed: Fumagilin DCH administered in food, at 0.1 g/kg food at 1.5% body weight daily ration for four weeks. This seemed to prevent mortalities in one report.

Jay

OP
OP
andrecr

andrecr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could tell you what that is - there is an issue known as Myxosporidians. It isn't treatable, but the lesions are similar:
1605913522564.png

Here is some information I wrote up about it:

Microsporidians were once thought to be protozoans, but are now considered more closely related to fungi. They are obligate intracellular parasites, and create lesions called xenomas. One of the more commonly seen, called Glugea, creates white, smooth masses inside and outside of infected fish. Some people may mistake these growths for Cryptocaryon, but any spot that stays in the same position on a fish for more than a few days is not Cryptocaryon. Pseudoloma neurophilia is a common microsporidian pathogen found in zebrafish (Danio rerio) ay research facilities. It causes emaciation and skeletal deformities, and thus may be confused with the symptoms of Mycobacterium sp. infections. There is no routine treatment for these diseases, but borrowing from a treatment used to control Nosema infections in honey bees, one experimental treatment has been proposed: Fumagilin DCH administered in food, at 0.1 g/kg food at 1.5% body weight daily ration for four weeks. This seemed to prevent mortalities in one report.

Jay
Is it infectious? Should I remove him from the tank?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it infectious? Should I remove him from the tank?
I don’t know a lot about these parasites, but my understanding is that they are more host specific than things like velvet or ich, so no, I wouldn’t remove it, besides, any infectious agents were released when the cyst popped.
Don’t forget, I’m not able to confirm this is the issue...
Jay

OP
OP
andrecr

andrecr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know a lot about these parasites, but my understanding is that they are more host specific than things like velvet or ich, so no, I wouldn’t remove it, besides, any infectious agents were released when the cyst popped.
Don’t forget, I’m not able to confirm this is the issue...
Jay
Once again thanks for you help mate!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back