Yellow watchman pair breeding

RJ Harris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months back. Probably 4 I was at a small fish shop in Burlington vt. The last one of the day. Was kind of discouraged because I went out there to find out that the store I travelled 3.5 hours for no longer existed or were closing and move locations. So I was tipped off to this last place. I got there and saw cool things it was like a kid in a candy shop. So I picked out a few things a maroon clown and then I saw the gobies. I had been thinking about getting one in the past. So I said why not. So I asked to get one of them and the owner promptly said I won't sell just one there a pair. You have to take both. So being short on funds already I said oh well that's ok. I'll pass and came back with well I'll give em both to you for the price of one. So I agreed. And while looking at them I was like how does he know there a pair they were to small for me to tell. Both were the same size and same color so I just went along with it thinking maybe they just liked to pal around together and he didn't want to seperate them. So I journeyed back to my house got them all set up in qt for a few months. Watched them everyday finally putting them in the dt. Started noticing one was growing faster and getting darker. So I said maybe he was onto something. I had no intentions of breeding them. I just like pairs of things.

To make a long story short last month I noticed she was getting large in the belly and it wasn't from feeding. So I kept watching and last week the male never came out of the cave so while I was doing a watcher change a couple nights ago I looked from behind the tank into the cave and I couldn't believe my eyes I saw a quick glimpse of what looked like a clutch of eggs suspended from the rock. I freaked out and scared my wife half to death. So I started doing some reading and took the rock out with the eggs and put them in a seperate tank. Thinking I had 4 days to find food 4 them when they hatched I went about my business and looking for things to feed them and finding really only the s strain of Rotifers were suitable so I started tracking them down and in the back of my head maybe thinking there were alternatives. And still thinking I have 4 days to get this together to give them the best chance. Well yesterday morning I turned the light on and they were hatching little ywg swimming around a 5 gallon tank. So now I was really feeling the pressure because now I have less time and I have nothing to feed them

This morning I turned the light on and noticed not all hatched and we're starting to get a fungus. So I maybe have 30 all together that are alive. Any incite and help would be appreciated

OP
OP
RJ Harris

RJ Harris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rotifers would most likely work best. Parvo copepods may also work. They will probably lay eggs on a regular basis.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so cool, I love YWG's ! Congratulations :)

OP
OP
RJ Harris

RJ Harris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately they all died. I read a few places to try egg yoke. So I tried a very lil bit and everything in the rock died there was a few snails and pods. Everything gone. But she's got a new batch brewing and I'll be prepared. This time

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hardboiled egg yolk used to be a common first food for freshwater fry, but I've never heard it recommended for marine larvae. Sorry to hear you lost this batch, but hopeful for the future!

~Bruce

kandymann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I culture them. I got my starter culture from Sustainable Aquatics. The S-strain rotifers work as well at first. Once the larvae mature, you can start feeding them L-strain rotifers.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back