Yellow wrasses not swimming

maxwell50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I got yellow wrasses that I had for couple months. I had ich outbreak and moved all of my wish into hypo salinity tank. My wrasses been in hypo for almost a month just fine. Yesterday I noticed he’s just laying on bottom. No ammonia spike and all other fine look fine and swimming. The only thing I notice is small black spot on fin.
f101a754f74de8b725c278f1f1cda231.jpg
4783a23764e10234535a7735e31921fe.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be difficult to maintain pH in hypo conditions. If you haven't already, it might be worth testing a couple of times AM, PM

from Humblefish:

Hyposalinity: Treats Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans) and gill flukes.

How To Treat - Place the fish you wish to treat in a quarantine tank with SG & temperature matching the tank they came from. Over a period of 48 hours, gradually lower the SG down to 1.009. You must use a perfectly calibrated refractometer at all times while doing hypo. Treat for 30 consecutive days, and during that time the SG must always remain at 1.009. If it inches up even slightly, the 30 day clock restarts. For this reason, many people use an auto top off system while performing hyposalinity. Some have even used hypo to successfully rid their display tank of ich, while others have failed. All corals and inverts must be removed beforehand if you wish to try this.

One of the challenges posed by hypo is maintaining a proper pH for the entire duration. While fish aren’t overly sensitive to low pH for short periods of time, anything continuously lower than 7.5 is going to be a problem. So, you will have to constantly test and then buffer the water to raise the pH. This can be accomplished by using supplements (available at most LFS) or you can “bake” your own DIY supplement by using baking soda. Spread baking soda onto a clean baking sheet, and bake at 300F for 1 hour. This process drives off water and carbon dioxide from the baking soda, and the result is an effective pH buffer. You will need to experiment (start with a very small amount) to determine how much is needed to raise your pH to the desired level.

Pros - Chemical free solution to ich, gentle on the fish. Scientific research also showed hyposalinity at 15 ppt for 2 days eliminated juvenile and adult flukes. When maintained for 5 days, egg hatching was prevented.

Cons/Side Effects - Difficult to execute properly, and hypo resistant strains of ich have been proven to exist (study done by Yambot in 2003.)

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you are aware, that’s not actually a yellow wrasse... but rather a two-spot hogfish (Bodianus bimaculatus).

The hogfish is going to be a bit more aggressive than a wrasse, and has the potential to take a serious liking to your CUC...

OP
OP
maxwell50

maxwell50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you are aware, that’s not actually a yellow wrasse... but rather a two-spot hogfish (Bodianus bimaculatus).

The hogfish is going to be a bit more aggressive than a wrasse, and has the potential to take a serious liking to your CUC...

Thanks for clearing that up. When I bought it I believe they told me that this fish cleans collars of parasites so I think I assumed it was a wrasse lol

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for clearing that up. When I bought it I believe they told me that this fish cleans collars of parasites so I think I assumed it was a wrasse lol

Well, it will definitely take care of worms and other little critters for you! Lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back