yellowhead jaw in QT, white stringy poop, help?

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In QT. He still has not eaten . Its been 6-7 days. He's hiding.

I posted this earlier

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/yellowhead-jawfish-in-qt-appetite-mininal.391401/

I just noticed white stringy poop. I know this is some internal issue that needs medicated food ingested, I believe.

I already treated the water prophylactically with prazipro twice, about 6 weeks ago

I can't get him to eat, so how do I treat? What do you reccommend, what meds, and prognosis?

Thank you!

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought and dosed water with Metroplex since Prazipro didn't seem to deal with this with 2 doses earlier.

He's not eating and I could not find any live brine so bought some expensive (lol) live tigger pods to put in the QT tank hoping he'll eat them. No copper has been used in the tank.

I hope this works

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try dosing general cure into the water. Hope that he drinks enough of the water to help. It's not likely to erradicate the internal worms or parasites, but if he won't eat anything then it may be your best last ditch effort.

I would try to offer as many types of food as you have available. If you can get him eating anything, soak it in metroplex combined with focus.

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try dosing general cure into the water. Hope that he drinks enough of the water to help. It's not likely to erradicate the internal worms or parasites, but if he won't eat anything then it may be your best last ditch effort.

I would try to offer as many types of food as you have available. If you can get him eating anything, soak it in metroplex combined with focus.

I just dosed the water with Metroplex. He is active now and making a burrow. Before the appetite loss he was pretty fattened up. He may have eaten a few of these pods I just put in, but it's hard to tell, hopefully they will get him going

I've tried frozen mysis, chopped table shrimp, live black worms and now these pods. I'll keep trying to feed him the frozen, if he eats, I'll soak in metroplex/focus and try to feed. In the meantime, I'll continue to dose metroplex into water per the intructions every 48 hrs

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dosed the water with Metroplex. He is active now and making a burrow. Before the appetite loss he was pretty fattened up. He may have eaten a few of these pods I just put in, but it's hard to tell, hopefully they will get him going

I've tried frozen mysis, chopped table shrimp, live black worms and now these pods. I'll keep trying to feed him the frozen, if he eats, I'll soak in metroplex/focus and try to feed. In the meantime, I'll continue to dose metroplex into water per the intructions every 48 hrs
The reason I recommended GC was in case it is some type of worm, and you get the fish to ingest some. It may help. A fish that won't eat with internal issues is tough...

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The owner of a supposedly reputable LFS suggested metroplex this time because I already had dosed with Prazi twice and this still developed and the Prazi did not resolve it.

Hopefully thats not bad advice.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The owner of a supposedly reputable LFS suggested metroplex this time because I already had dosed with Prazi twice and this still developed and the Prazi did not resolve it.

I don't think it's bad advice at all.
GC is basically a combination of praziquantel and metronidazole. Same drugs as prazipro and metroplex. Just powder form of both, so they can be used together safely.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GC is basically a combination of praziquantel and metronidazole. Same drugs as prazipro and metroplex. Just powder form of both, so they can be used together safely.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know people treat external parasites prophylactically in QT with Prazi, which is what I did.

Just for reference, does it make sense to prophylactically treat internal parasites as well, with Metro or similar soaked food when a new fish is eating?

It sucks that I could have treated this more effectively last weekend and prior, when he was still eating and I would have been able to soak food in Metroplex , rather than being likely stuck now with this apparently more dire situation and no eating

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know people treat external parasites prophylactically in QT with Prazi, which is what I did.

Just for reference, does it make sense to prophylactically treat internal parasites as well, with Metro or similar soaked food when a new fish is eating?

It sucks that I could have treated this more effectively last weekend and prior, when he was still eating and I would have been able to soak food in Metroplex , rather than being likely stuck now with this apparently more dire situation

I personally do yes. Especially with Wrasse. You are right once they stop eating if you never notice the white stringy poop it can be to late.

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking for white string poop and other possible illness symptoms many times a day, but only saw the poop symptom for the first time today.

Sigh...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back