Yellowhead jawfish injured, what medications should I use?

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my yellowhead jawfish today, found out that he got an injury on his head, what should I do?
Currently in a TTM quarantine, along with three butterflies.
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081

6fd4ade290ae2a0461c096cb4e1a75a.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This guy can go without a meal for a couple of days. Althought there are options, saltwater fish have the ability to recover and heal quickly from injuriwes. As long as there are NO infections, let it take its course and dont feed to allow little use of facial and jaw muscles for healing.
However, should bacterial or similar develop, would not hurt to have on hand in advance. . . Maracyn 2 and/or ruby Rally reef pro

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my yellowhead jawfish today, found out that he got an injury on his head, what should I do?
Currently in a TTM quarantine, along with three butterflies.
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081

6fd4ade290ae2a0461c096cb4e1a75a.jpg

Ah, I don't think TTM is the best treatment for jawfish - they really need to be able to create a burrow. The snout damage may well be from the fish rubbing against the plastic containers during its transport through the supply chain. These are frequently caught in Haiti. Because they fight and burrow, the collectors hold them in either plastic bags or tiny containers. They stay this way until they reach the LFS, and sometimes not until you get them. To hold them out of a burrow through TTM just adds to that stress. However, of course you can't quarantine a jawfish with copper if there is substrate present and they don't handle hyposalinity well, so this is one of the few fish I will use observational quarantine on - holding them for 45 days in a stable tank with no other fish.

Jay

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I don't think TTM is the best treatment for jawfish - they really need to be able to create a burrow. The snout damage may well be from the fish rubbing against the plastic containers during its transport through the supply chain. These are frequently caught in Haiti. Because they fight and burrow, the collectors hold them in either plastic bags or tiny containers. They stay this way until they reach the LFS, and sometimes not until you get them. To hold them out of a burrow through TTM just adds to that stress. However, of course you can't quarantine a jawfish with copper if there is substrate present and they don't handle hyposalinity well, so this is one of the few fish I will use observational quarantine on - holding them for 45 days in a stable tank with no other fish.

Jay
I think the wound is a bruise caused by the mesh used to seal the PVC pipe...
Another question, I've also got a banded butterfly that has a leaking bag upon arrival, dying. I tried my best and he can swim by himself now, but his scales were blown. currently, I have Erythromycin ointment and Cefixime capsules, can I use them to tackle bacterial infections? If so, what's the dosing? (Also got a few other anti-biotics but they are too strong I think.)

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy can go without a meal for a couple of days. Althought there are options, saltwater fish have the ability to recover and heal quickly from injuriwes. As long as there are NO infections, let it take its course and dont feed to allow little use of facial and jaw muscles for healing.
However, should bacterial or similar develop, would not hurt to have on hand in advance. . . Maracyn 2 and/or ruby Rally reef pro
Where can I get my hands on maracyn 2? I had only seen maracyn oxy being sold. Also wanna ask where can I get some Furazolidone...

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do y'all have any recommendations on how to get this species to build a real burrow? mine are just curled up in shells/corners and i'm worried it's stressing them out. :(

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do y'all have any recommendations on how to get this species to build a real burrow? mine are just curled up in shells/corners and i'm worried it's stressing them out. :(
I heard that you could plug a piece of PVC tube into the sand bed and clear it empty, usually it will use the pipe as a starting point of its burrow... sounds reasonable but haven't tried it out yet personally

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the wound is a bruise caused by the mesh used to seal the PVC pipe...
Another question, I've also got a banded butterfly that has a leaking bag upon arrival, dying. I tried my best and he can swim by himself now, but his scales were blown. currently, I have Erythromycin ointment and Cefixime capsules, can I use them to tackle bacterial infections? If so, what's the dosing? (Also got a few other anti-biotics but they are too strong I think.)
I'm not sure what you mean by its scales being "blown". Can you provide a pic of that? I don't think that topical meds will work for that. I don't have a dose for Cefixime - it is a cephalosporin antibiotic, but my references don't list it for use with fish.

Jay

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you mean by its scales being "blown". Can you provide a pic of that? I don't think that topical meds will work for that. I don't have a dose for Cefixime - it is a cephalosporin antibiotic, but my references don't list it for use with fish.

Jay
Sorry for my bad wording cuz my native language is not English...
He lost some scales and there were wounds on him, some scales don't seem to be attached firmly so they break out a little bit. Attached are some photos of him

Attachments

• 1e991224fb04ef6146ff3a85e90efeb.jpg
    1e991224fb04ef6146ff3a85e90efeb.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 8e6ce716f7242ad3a0576dab4615222.jpg
    8e6ce716f7242ad3a0576dab4615222.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 09c4b02c87c670b954feb6c08a6dcdb.jpg
    09c4b02c87c670b954feb6c08a6dcdb.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 26

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for my bad wording cuz my native language is not English...
He lost some scales and there were wounds on him, some scales don't seem to be attached firmly so they break out a little bit. Attached are some photos of him
Oh - the butterflyfish has a serious issue. A fish's skin is a barrier against fluid flooding out of the fish due to osmotic pressure. This amount of skin damage is going to make it difficult for the butterfly fish to control its blood fluid levels. It might help if the specific gravity of the tank is kept a bit lower - 1.020

So what is causing this? I see three common causes: bacterial infection, ammonia burns or Uronema. Trouble is, Uronema can't be treated. I presume the fish isn't in high ammonia water now, but if it was recently shipped, that may be the cause. A broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic in a treatment tank would be what to try if it is a bacterial infection - Neoplex, Furan-2 perhaps.

Jay

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh - the butterflyfish has a serious issue. A fish's skin is a barrier against fluid flooding out of the fish due to osmotic pressure. This amount of skin damage is going to make it difficult for the butterfly fish to control its blood fluid levels. It might help if the specific gravity of the tank is kept a bit lower - 1.020

So what is causing this? I see three common causes: bacterial infection, ammonia burns or Uronema. Trouble is, Uronema can't be treated. I presume the fish isn't in high ammonia water now, but if it was recently shipped, that may be the cause. A broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic in a treatment tank would be what to try if it is a bacterial infection - Neoplex, Furan-2 perhaps.

Jay
I think it's ammonia burn... It's dead now...
The reef butterfly also has part of his skin being a pinkish color, how do I tackle it, I do 100% water change daily and I dose seachem prime so currently there shouldn't be that much ammonia. Also bought ruby rally reef pro.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's ammonia burn... It's dead now...
The reef butterfly also has part of his skin being a pinkish color, how do I tackle it, I do 100% water change daily and I dose seachem prime so currently there shouldn't be that much ammonia. Also bought ruby rally reef pro.
Ammonia can be tricky, I was just thinking of ammonia in the shipping bag, if you have ammonia in the tank itself, then that is another issue. I've seen cases where 100% water changes daily couldn't control ammonia...depends on the bioload. Prime helps, but it is difficult to tell, since the ammonia may still show on your tests, even though it has been detoxified.

Jay

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia can be tricky, I was just thinking of ammonia in the shipping bag, if you have ammonia in the tank itself, then that is another issue. I've seen cases where 100% water changes daily couldn't control ammonia...depends on the bioload. Prime helps, but it is difficult to tell, since the ammonia may still show on your tests, even though it has been detoxified.

Jay
I just don't test ammonia in the bucket, but I change 100% water anytime I smell something fishy, on the basis of routine daily 1000% change...
I believe that the pinkish color on the reef butterfly is also caused by ammonia buildup right?

Attachments

• aaf963ff50522128cd0a198f0bd68c0e.mp4
    1.7 MB
OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questions on Ruby rally reef pro, is it a comparatively mild medication? Will it bring more stress on fishies?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back