Yellowheaded jawfish stomach bloat?

Jeff70227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I was hoping someone might help me identify if my yellowheaded jawfish is having an issue. It looks like his stomach is big, but directly behind it, it's sunken in, almost like he's arching his back. He's eating fine and does not seem lethargic whatsoever. But I used to keep FW neon tetras and they had a disease where they like folded in half. Was hoping the jawfish didn't have something like that or if he did there was someone who could identify what's going on and provide some treatment ideas. All parameters are good, I have a protein skimmer and also a cheato refugium. Tank mates include a 6 line wrasse, royal gramma, and bicolor blenny - none having any issues at all.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_1973.jpg

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's super interesting. It's almost like the muscle's atrophying, or the fat stores are going away, even though the fish has a full stomach.

What does the fish' waste look like?

What are you feeding the fish?

OP
OP
J

Jeff70227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's super interesting. It's almost like the muscle's atrophying, or the fat stores are going away, even though the fish has a full stomach.

What does the fish' waste look like?

What are you feeding the fish?

Hi, sorry for the late reply...

I haven't seen him poop in a long time, so I can't say.

I feed him frozen mysis shrimp and frozen brine on alternating days. Then once a week I feed some spirulina/mysis along with the other.

His back is getting more bent by the week, so it's almost like he's arching his back and sucking in his stomach or something. But his belly looks full, he swims fine and he still eats. Could he just be getting old? I've only had him for about 7 months.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only other things I can think of, is a vitamin deficiency, maybe C or D. It could also be intestinal parasites, since the fish is eating, and not gaining weight. The final option is that it could be a genetic issue, I've seen something similar in zebra danios.... @Jay Hemdal ?

OP
OP
J

Jeff70227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only other things I can think of, is a vitamin deficiency, maybe C or D. It could also be intestinal parasites, since the fish is eating, and not gaining weight. The final option is that it could be a genetic issue, I've seen something similar in zebra danios.... @Jay Hemdal ?

Thanks for your insight.
How would I treat for the vitamin deficiancy? Would prasipro work for the parasite? If not, is there something I should try? He's a cool little fish and would hate to have him die on me without trying something for him.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read the stickies in this subforum ;) There’s a good internal parasite treatment there.

As for vitamin deficiency, try feeding selcon or other food additives. Feeding high quality pellets with known vitamins (like ascorbic acid), might also help as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back