Yellowtail blue damsel not moving from the sand

dmerian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a really new tank that I have 2 clownfish and a yellowtail damselfish, some coral and just put in anemone last night. The first 2 days they were swimming around fine. The damsel probably hide under the rock sometimes but would go back out and swim around and eating fine. Today I found him just laying on the sand in the corner all day. I don’t know what is wrong with him. Didn’t find any spot on him or anything. Attached a vid. Help me guess what’s wrong with him and what should I do please. Thanks

PH 0.7

Ammonia 0.1
Nitrate 5 mg/l
Nitrite 0.02

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all, I have a really new tank that I have 2 clownfish and a yellowtail damselfish, some coral and just put in anemone last night. The first 2 days they were swimming around fine. The damsel probably hide under the rock sometimes but would go back out and swim around and eating fine. Today I found him just laying on the sand in the corner all day. I don’t know what is wrong with him. Didn’t find any spot on him or anything. Attached a vid. Help me guess what’s wrong with him and what should I do please. Thanks

PH 0.7

Ammonia 0.1
Nitrate 5 mg/l
Nitrite 0.02
Not sure on your ph as it should be 8-8.3
Ammonia elevated, you want .025 or Below
Appears to be a newer tank and water change needed as fish is breathing rapidly likely due to water quality

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PH 0.7

Ammonia 0.1
Nitrate 5 mg/l
Nitrite 0.02

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

From the video, the damselfish is breathing too fast, but the tank has good aeration (the air stone is running well). That means the problem is either a gill disease or a water quality issue. How does the coral and anemone look? Your tank may be too new really to have corals in it yet.

Can you see any rapid breathing in the clownfish? If you aren't sure, post a video of them, and I can tell you.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dmerian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

From the video, the damselfish is breathing too fast, but the tank has good aeration (the air stone is running well). That means the problem is either a gill disease or a water quality issue. How does the coral and anemone look? Your tank may be too new really to have corals in it yet.

Can you see any rapid breathing in the clownfish? If you aren't sure, post a video of them, and I can tell you.

Jay
All of the others look fine but let me post a video maybe you catch something I don’t know

Attachments

• IMG_0622.mov
    57.8 MB
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dmerian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on your ph as it should be 8-8.3
Ammonia elevated, you want .025 or Below
Appears to be a newer tank and water change needed as fish is breathing rapidly likely due to water quality
It is really new. Has been cycled for 4 weeks and we just put in the babies.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the others look fine but let me post a video maybe you catch something I don’t know

O.K., I don't see anything really worrisome in the video, the clowns look good. The corals and anemones haven't really settled in yet, but I don't see any major issues.

Don't add any more animals at the moment and keep watching the clownfish for signs of issues.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dmerian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K., I don't see anything really worrisome in the video, the clowns look good. The corals and anemones haven't really settled in yet, but I don't see any major issues.

Don't add any more animals at the moment and keep watching the clownfish for signs of issues.

Jay
Thank you. Is there anything that I can do for my damsel?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Is there anything that I can do for my damsel?

Not much comes to mind, sorry.

You could try a five minute freshwater dip to buy some time, but that might put it over the edge.

If you had a treatment tank, I would suggest moving it over and treating with copper.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dmerian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PH 0.7

Ammonia 0.1
Nitrate 5 mg/l
Nitrite 0.02
Some updates. My yellowtail damsel seems to be doing fine right now and he doesn’t seem to breathe as heavy as before. I thought he wasn’t gonna survive. He still hides a lot which led me to believe that he is timid and was stressed. My female clownfish seems to chase him away a lot but not to the point of attacking. But somehow they like same spot so maybe I need to rescape? Hopefully they won’t attack each other.

Attachments

• IMG_0655.mov
    37.6 MB
Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates. My yellowtail damsel seems to be doing fine right now and he doesn’t seem to breathe as heavy as before. I thought he wasn’t gonna survive. He still hides a lot which led me to believe that he is timid and was stressed. My female clownfish seems to chase him away a lot but not to the point of attacking. But somehow they like same spot so maybe I need to rescape? Hopefully they won’t attack each other.

It does look better, I’m not sure what caused the turnaround though!

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dmerian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look better, I’m not sure what caused the turnaround though!

Jay
I’m not sure either. We didn’t even do the copper treatment yet. The only thing we put is reef plus but not sure if that one helps. As you probably can tell, we are new and have miles to learn

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back