Yes another MH question

Tankguy001

Reef Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may have been asked before but I'm not sure so here goes , I'm running 150W on a shallow tank (lowest sps coral is 18 inches from lights) the lights are 10K. To attempt to bring out more color in my sps , would the 150W 20K do me any good?

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general I find the higher the color temp, the better your color will be. I've seen brown acros turn so deep in color that they rival the blue oregon tort. 10K will give you better growth, but usually not as good a color. It depends on if you want more growth or color. You could potentially use 10K for a while to get the colonies to the size you like, and then go to 20K to get color and less growth.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If color is more important that growth, going to a 14-20K will bring out more fluorescence. If supplementing is an option, VHO's or T5's are common choices. With supplementation, you can still get good growth and color.

demonsperm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons is this tank?
Corals perfer good water flow and food and water quality over lighting.

OP
OP
Tankguy001

Tankguy001

Reef Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 110 G and its not deep. I have good flow and corals are growing. I do have 2 130W Antinics with the 150 Halides. Corals do get fed w/marine plankton and phyto feast. I've been kicking around the idea of moving up to 250W halides but was also wondering if the 20K 150W would pull out more color. Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the feedback

demonsperm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dividing your tank size by your lights output can give a ruff estimate of total light. SPS like to be above 5 and your around 2. Placeing them higher would cure this but with more power you have a wider placement range.
Also they would like a small meaty type of food like brine or cyclops or similar. Heres a link on corals wants and needs.GL..

http://www.asira.org/caresheets

OP
OP
Tankguy001

Tankguy001

Reef Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a very good link thank you. I guess I should mention there are 4 150W MH w/2 130 W Atinics

demonsperm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have 4 , 150 watt MH units. Lighting isnt a problem but the distance from the surface would be.Whene you add new coral i would turn main lights out first day and then reduce main time for a few days. I dought many of the coral you will get will be under such high lighting and they will stress if there subjected to higher lighting so fast.

Sounds like a cool tank , any pics? Also think stoney coral though most coral would love these lights.

chadfarmer

profilux in the house
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what color are you trying to a bring out of the corals

what bulbs?
what reflectors?
do you run carbon or ozone?

OP
OP
Tankguy001

Tankguy001

Reef Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always struggled with pinks & blues and some reds. Greens and yellow aren't problem. Hoping to do pics soon. I've never been happy with the ones I've taken in the past.

Back