Yes another stand build

CHI-Mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All

Well my first DIY stand was a bust. I had everything done and ready for staining. Once I started staining odd lines started appearing after I spoke with the guys where I purchased it turns out that the Oak that I wrapped it in wasn't glued correctly at the mill ( BOOOOOO )

So after finishing that I wanted to make a few changes. Attached is a drawing of what I'm thinking about doing. does anyone see a problem with it? Im trying to make the stand so there is no center support so I can see the love trigger Sapphire 39 sump. As for the aquarium size it a 75

Let me know what you guys think.

Mark

Attachments

• Stand.pdf
    87.2 KB · Views: 237

Grimreaperz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following as I will be rebuilding a stand for my next build/upgrade to a 75g

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im belong to the school of thought that if it is worth doing then it is worth over doing. I would definitely use the 2x6 on end and I would double them up stagger screw them together like every 8" to span that 40"

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2x4s are hugely over built for a 75 gal tank, and I would happily use them.

IMG_0144.JPG

Here's the frame I built for my 120 gal tank. It's all out of 2x4s. The slats on the bottom are to hold the weight of the sump... they don't help with the weight of the DT.

This design is very common, and can adapt to any size tank. If you are interested in this exact one, let me know and I can put together a cut list for your 2x4s for you. :)

OP
OP
CHI-Mark

CHI-Mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats the size of the opening in front, and I'm assuming that you have the tank up and running?

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can we see a finished product ? did you skin the frame?

OP
OP
CHI-Mark

CHI-Mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yes I did finish it and it was solid. However had to start all over. Once I started staining the wood I had vertical lines running up and down the wood. I took it back to the place I brought it from and turns out that the plywood was incorrectly glue at the mill. Attached is the stand skinned
IMG_1242.PNG

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yes I did finish it and it was solid. However had to start all over. Once I started staining the wood I had vertical lines running up and down the wood. I took it back to the place I brought it from and turns out that the plywood was incorrectly glue at the mill. Attached is the stand skinned
IMG_1242.PNG
what type of wood is it? i am confused, lol thought you were building it yourself.. so what does it have to do with the mill?

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what type of wood is it? i am confused, lol thought you were building it yourself.. so what does it have to do with the mill?

I am assuming he had the mill glue the boards together at first for his wrapping job, but the glue job was messy, so when he went to stain it, the parts around the seams that the glue spread out on showed up as lines, because the stain doesn't soak into the glue the same way.

OP
OP
CHI-Mark

CHI-Mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wood was plywood and when the mill glued it the glue wasn't spread evenly which caused the dark lines when staining.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 67 74.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back