Yet another BTA not opening thread...

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 BTA's in my 175 gallon tank and they dont open fully and they stopped moving around. Flow is really calm and lighting is at 50% with blues on my reef breeders LEDs.

Tank is almost a year old and here are the parameters taken yesterday:
Temp-78.6f
Salinity-1.024
Nitrate-12.1
PH-8.0
Cal-410
Mag-1260
Alk-8.8
Phos-.10

Attached is a picture of about how far they open. All other corals are doing just fine but these guys wont open fully. ideas?

321.jpg

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a bit difficult to introduce things like clams, gonis, anemones ect. and have success in a relatively new and unestablished ecosystem. Im going by the photo? If that’s the case I’d just let it acclimate to your particular system.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the flow is calm, you may want to consider slightly increasing it and directing it towards the nems. They prefer moderate to high flow. I learned this the hard way with mine, which I'm 90% sure died because it didn't have enough water movement.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the flow is calm, you may want to consider slightly increasing it and directing it towards the nems. They prefer moderate to high flow. I learned this the hard way with mine, which I'm 90% sure died because it didn't have enough water movement.
Really? I have heard from many others that they love low flow and if its too fast they close up. Ive had it both ways and they didnt change.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a bit difficult to introduce things like clams, gonis, anemones ect. and have success in a relatively new and unestablished ecosystem. Im going by the photo? If that’s the case I’d just let it acclimate to your particular system.
Its just a small section of the tank. I have other corals in the tank. See full picture.

Attachments

• 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 44

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I have heard from many others that they love low flow and if its too fast they close up. Ive had it both ways and they didnt change.
Much like euphyllia and many fleshy lps, they like higher currents, but not direct flow. You’ll definitely want a good amount flow to pass through the anemones, but they’ll only close up if they are being blasted by the powerhead. This, of course, does depend on the specimen itself and the preferences it has.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much like euphyllia and many fleshy lps, they like higher currents, but not direct flow. You’ll definitely want a good amount flow to pass through the anemones, but they’ll only close up if they are being blasted by the powerhead. This, of course, does depend on the specimen itself and the preferences it has.
Still playing around with flow in this tank. I have the stock "jets" on the rear set to real slow and I have a reefwave 45 on the side at 50% random flow. Nothing is direct flow.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading a bit more I think my issue might be light settings. Most places I read say 230-350 par for these guys. Where they are at now might be only 175 at best. Im going to pump up the lights 10% and see how they fair this week and go from there.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones are...well, anemones...

If the light is too low, they will try to find spot thats brighter. If light is too strong, they will move to lower intensity area...
Same goes for flow.

Trying to hit perfect par for any coral based on "opinions" or "facts" from internet is wrong in so many ways....

My guess? Try raise salinity, 1025-1026 is sweet spot for reef, 1024 is usualy not a problem, but, you need to start somewhere...

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured light needs to be brighter because my PAR isnt too high as it is and they are as high up on the rocks as they can get so I figure they need more light juice.

Ill bump salinity a little over time.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured light needs to be brighter because my PAR isnt too high as it is and they are as high up on the rocks as they can get so I figure they need more light juice.

Ill bump salinity a little over time.
Did you measure par?

If no higher place is available, anemone can detach herself, and try to find more suitable place. If this stays in same place, then i doubt this is the case...

By all means, give her more light, more is better, you really can go wrong, just make sure all other corals dont react negatively....

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you measure par?

If no higher place is available, anemone can detach herself, and try to find more suitable place. If this stays in same place, then i doubt this is the case...

By all means, give her more light, more is better, you really can go wrong, just make sure all other corals dont react negatively....
Yes I measured the PAR and at the tops of the rocks it was maybe 150-175. This is a deep tank so I can really get the lights cranked but im taking it easy.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
175 should be totally enough for bta....

But, if you can go higher with light intensity , make it so... ;)

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flow has gotta be what they want or they'll move on. I replaced a failed wave pump and 2 moved from where they'd been for 2 years. Be patient. I wouldn't feed much.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 33.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back