Yet another velvet question

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've having a hard time battling velvet in my QT tank. I've been using copper power at 2.0ppm (measured with Hanna checker) which I believe should be enough to kill free swimmers. I remember copper power is therapeutic at 1.5ppm, which is the level I dropped my healthy yellow tang in at. Took about a day to raise it to 2.0ppm, but my new yellow tang somehow has contracted velvet from hippo tang, which was already battling it in the tank. I only combined them because I thought the copper would insulate the yellow from being infected by the hippo, but was that a rookie mistake? Is there anyway velvet can survive 2.0ppm copper?

For what it's worth, I have a fairy wrasse in the same tank, and I'm hesitant to go above 2.0ppm. He and the helfrichi firefish are totally fine. Does it make sense to move these two to a separate tank at 2.0ppm copper power? Then for the hippo and yellow tang, I would just do a FW dip, ruby reef rally bath, move back into QT tank, and raise copper to 2.5ppm over 1-2 days?

Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your plan is what I would do in this case. I'd skip the Ruby Reef Rally bath, I'm not convinced a short term bath with that is helpful.

Jay

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a bunch Jay. This velvet has been a tough one to battle personally. Yellow Tang and hippo went through the FW dip. Noticed some flukes that fell off the YT, so glad one ailment is controlled for the time being. I hope 2.5PPM copper power is enough!

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are doing as good of a job as you can. Meds doesn't prevent other fish from getting it, instead it breaks the lifecycle of the parasite. give it time three weeks from now if they are still around you should be in the clear.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 106 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back