Yikes... calcium kit and tank off by 100 ppm

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I like to keep my tank around 8.5 dkh and 420 ppm Calcium... over the last month or so, I’ve noticed a gradually decline in calcium... so I adjusted my dosing to compensate. Calcium kept decreasing and I kept increasing my dosing etc etc... then my alk started to decline as well, so I upped the Alk dosing too but that seems to have had no effect... today I ran out of my sailfert calcium kit and opened a new one... did a test and was shocked to see the result - 475 ppm ; I measured 380 yesterday. I got a friend to test my water and we confirmed this calcium is indeed 475 ppm; Alk is at 8.6...
So what is the best way to correct the imbalance... I read Randy’s classic article on the topic and he suggests increasing Alk by dosing baking soda or washing soda... but I wonder if I can also correct the problem by not dosing the Calcium component of my ESV bionic two part ?
Thanks for help and advice!
3bad85fe4a78c22d1e31ebd1f5de654b.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, 475 ppm calcium is perfectly fine, and I wouldn't change antthing except dose calcium in equal parts to the alk part of the B-ionic.

But if you want it lower, you can stop the calcium part of the B-ionic for a while. :)

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, 475 ppm calcium is perfectly fine, and I wouldn't change antthing except dose calcium in equal parts to the alk part of the B-ionic.

But if you want it lower, you can stop the calcium part of the B-ionic for a while. :)

Ok thanks Randy

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back