Yikes! Mistakenly used used freshwater for water change!

Klyph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot believe I did this. I have 150 gallon red sea reefer. Three days ago I did a 32 gallon water change, but completely forgot to mix salt, so the water change was fresh RO/DI water.

That next day, I noticed the corals were looking a little unhappy not horrible, but a little off. That’s when I checked my Apex (about 18 hours after the water change), I noticed my mistake. All the numbers were drastically lower, and salinity was around 1.20.

so 18 hours after my mistake, I siphoned out 32 gallons out of the tank, mixed it with salt for about an hour and reintroduced it back to the tank. All the parameters are now back to normal.

Two days later, no corals are dead. However, I’ve recently ventured into the acro world, and I’m really worried I screwed up those rather expensive frags. A couple of their tips appear to be whitish.

are they goners? How big of a problem did I create?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot believe I did this. I have 150 gallon red sea reefer. Three days ago I did a 32 gallon water change, but completely forgot to mix salt, so the water change was fresh RO/DI water.

That next day, I noticed the corals were looking a little unhappy not horrible, but a little off. That’s when I checked my Apex (about 18 hours after the water change), I noticed my mistake. All the numbers were drastically lower, and salinity was around 1.20.

so 18 hours after my mistake, I siphoned out 32 gallons out of the tank, mixed it with salt for about an hour and reintroduced it back to the tank. All the parameters are now back to normal.

Two days later, no corals are dead. However, I’ve recently ventured into the acro world, and I’m really worried I screwed up those rather expensive frags. A couple of their tips appear to be whitish.

are they goners? How big of a problem did I create?
I’m my experience generally when this happens you don’t see the fax of it for approximately a week to three later. Lots of times when this happens three weeks later you forget what it happened three weeks ago and I’m trying to find some thing that happened that day not realizing it was what you had done three weeks ago

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 86 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back