Young tank now 0 Nitrates and phosphates- is this normalish?

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is exactly 3.5 months old today.

I've had high (25 - 10) nitrates since cycling. A few weeks after cycling phosphates undetectable with Hanna LR checker (not Hanna ULR checker, I don't own the ULR).

About two weeks ago, had my first algae bloom in the form of lime green algae on lit areas, then turned brown (or was overtaken by brown, I dunno). It's mostly resolved itself now, I didn't do anything.

Now I've got no nitrates and still no phosphates.

Corals are growing but maybe not as fast as they should (I don't really have experience to know).

My skimmer finally seems to be working better, but it's still very wet skimmate.

I've turned off the skimmer for tonight. Last night, I fed reef roids using Julian's Thing to the corals. LFS suggested this, to prevent corals from bleaching and he seemed to think this could help raise phosphate and nitrate after 3-4 days.

Wondering how worried I should be at this point. Would like to avoid Dinos, and I know corals need phosphate. I have 4 small fish I tend to overfeed (they poop a lot but the food isn't going to the tank bottom). Wondering too if there's enough in the water but the remaining light algae is pulling stuff out, maybe system is not dead zero and it ok? Not sure how to think about where the tank is at, comments/advice appreciated.

Mattc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a similar issue right now but my tank is on a vastly accelerated time schedule. I started about two weeks ago and used Dr. Tim's and biospira to start the tank. This is in a 32 gallon biocube. I have 2, 3 year old clownfish and a brand new cardinal who was kinda the guinea pig to see if the tank was safe before putting in my beloved clowns. I'm using about 30lbs of sand and 30lbs of live rock with an intank media basket and refugium and coralife v2 skimmer which works much better than the previous model. I have filter floss in the top of the basket, chemipure blue in the middle and fluval biomax rings in the bottom. I have sea lettuce in my refugium and I also added 3,300 copepods and I dose 5ml of phyto a day with a 3w light bar suction cupped to the back providing light for the sea lettuce. My levels are currently at
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
Somewhere between 0 and .25 phosphate but I think it's on the lower end the API kits suck
Between 5-10 nitrate once again have no exact idea as API kits suck.
My PH is a conundrum as when I started the tank it was at 8.4 but now it sits at about 7.8 at night and 8.2 with the lights on and I can't seem to bump it up at all.
Temp 78-80 if my room gets hot
Salinity 1.025
I just started experiencing a very mild dino bloom about 3 days ago.
Not sure if this helps at all but I just thought I'd let you know what I'm going thru as well! I'll attach a pic just for fun :)

Attachments

• B89D5268-8F1D-4730-B126-198126A3EE2E.jpeg
    B89D5268-8F1D-4730-B126-198126A3EE2E.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 27

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not expect you to have much of either if your rock wasn’t loaded with phosphates when you set up the tank. I don’t know the range of the high Hanna tester, but suspect you would find some with the low range kit.

Mattc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not expect you to have much of either if your rock wasn’t loaded with phosphates when you set up the tank. I don’t know the range of the high Hanna tester, but suspect you would find some with the low range kit.
I just ordered a salifert kit which is supposed to give me a slightly lower range and be easier to read so we'll see if that helps me out

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back