Your favorite two part

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using BRS Pharma pouches and believe they are quality products. The problem I have is that the magnesium seems to be in a concentration out of proportion with the calcium and buffer my tank uses ... at least that’s my experience. My magnesium was above 1600 (test only went that high) no matter how little magnesium I dosed. I finally just turned of that doser channel completely. It’s finally coming down. For many, I’m sure it’s perfect but I’ve had lots of trouble getting everything balanced.

I’ve considered using the Seachem product because it already contains magnesium at a (supposed) level that’s proportional to the calcium uptake. I know a lot of folks used lots of different things.

Can you tell me what you use? I’m not likely to buy chemicals online or at a store and mixing my own. I have also considered dosing kalk and magnesium separately but can’t decide. Please help!

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use kalkwasser for alkaline, calcium, and it also helps with ph. Cheap, easy, a no brainer ime. Don’t understand why almost everyone doesn’t use it
Maybe because in this hobby you hear cheap and easy and you can’t believe it

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people don't does magnesium at all. Especially if your salt mix runs high. Fritz and liveaquaria salt always have magnesium above 1500ppm. No need to dose if doing any significant waterchanges.

My favorite 2 part is brs. Kalkwasser can run many tanks just fine for a long time, unless it's full of hard corals. My favorite way to run a tank is calcium reactor. Hard to beat brs 2 part though, if you're set on 2 part dosing.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at the opposite side of Pharma grade. Ever since my tank was set up I've used Dr. Randy's DIY Two Part using Preston Driveway Heat, Arm and Hammer Baking Soda (bake to convert to sodium carbonate), and for magnesium, Epsom Salt and MAG flakes. I estimate my yearly total costs for dosing a 90 gallon tank are somewhere around five dollars. I still have the original bags of Calcium Chloride (40 or 50 lb bag for less than $20, as well as MAG flakes...actually a life time supply that was less than $20 for a 40 or 50 pound bag.) The baking soda I get in 13 - 15 pound bags from Sam's club for around 6 - 7 dollars.

The one thing I don't like about the combination products that also contain magnesium is that your salt brand and water change regiment could meet this need with little to no additional magnesium being added. It's the one reason I've kept my separate....I use very little magnesium.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using ESV b-ionic for over 20 years. Their calcium additive(part 2)has magnesium in it at right proportion. The magnesium has dropped sometimes but not drastically. If it does I go with Seachems Reef Advantage Magnesium to boost it up to 1300. I order the 4 gal concentrate set of B-ionic and dilute with R/O when it arrives. Between 4 tanks totaling approximately 360 gal, it last me about a year.

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using ESV b-ionic for over 20 years. Their calcium additive(part 2)has magnesium in it at right proportion. The magnesium has dropped sometimes but not drastically. If it does I go with Seachems Reef Advantage Magnesium to boost it up to 1300. I order the 4 gal concentrate set of B-ionic and dilute with R/O when it arrives. Between 4 tanks totaling approximately 360 gal, it last me about a year.
Thanks... I’ve thought of that and might try it. How much per gallon do you think you’re using. I have a 60. With the BRS product I put in a lot of calcium and buffer daily.... like 70 ml. It may be cost effective but not at the quantity.

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at the opposite side of Pharma grade. Ever since my tank was set up I've used Dr. Randy's DIY Two Part using Preston Driveway Heat, Arm and Hammer Baking Soda (bake to convert to sodium carbonate), and for magnesium, Epsom Salt and MAG flakes. I estimate my yearly total costs for dosing a 90 gallon tank are somewhere around five dollars. I still have the original bags of Calcium Chloride (40 or 50 lb bag for less than $20, as well as MAG flakes...actually a life time supply that was less than $20 for a 40 or 50 pound bag.) The baking soda I get in 13 - 15 pound bags from Sam's club for around 6 - 7 dollars.

The one thing I don't like about the combination products that also contain magnesium is that your salt brand and water change regiment could meet this need with little to no additional magnesium being added. It's the one reason I've kept my separate....I use very little magnesium.
I wish I could do all that. I would if I could. But I’m taking care of a two year old plus the rest of the fam. Have a few farm critters too that need attention. Making my own is just not in the cards right now.

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use kalkwasser for alkaline, calcium, and it also helps with ph. Cheap, easy, a no brainer ime. Don’t understand why almost everyone doesn’t use it
Maybe because in this hobby you hear cheap and easy and you can’t believe it

I agree about kalk, ive been using it for almost a year but the last couple months my alk has slowly been dropping even after ive saturated my kalk in my ato so now i just started brs 2 part.

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people don't does magnesium at all. Especially if your salt mix runs high. Fritz and liveaquaria salt always have magnesium above 1500ppm. No need to dose if doing any significant waterchanges.

My favorite 2 part is brs. Kalkwasser can run many tanks just fine for a long time, unless it's full of hard corals. My favorite way to run a tank is calcium reactor. Hard to beat brs 2 part though, if you're set on 2 part dosing.
I’ve never run a calcium reactor so humor me.... you use a calcium reactor for calcium and BRS part 2? Is it hard to get your parameters stable? I typically get my salt water from the LFS. I can mix my own but don’t have a RO/DI and I already buy 5 buckets of fresh water every few weeks just for top of. So, buying more freshwater would be a pain. Yes, I know I wouldn’t need as many buckets of salt water but if I’m gonna buy fresh water, I might as well get salt water too. The LFS I buy from uses Instant Ocean. I’ve been think abt ways to mix my own though. The layout of the house creates some issues, but I’m working on it.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been using CaribSea Coral up and Coral Up B for a few years, learned a big lesson. I'm not convinced it's the best, cheapest or most expensive but it's easy and seems to keep parameters stable. It's also been easy for me to hand over instructions to pet sitters and not screw up, at least thus far lol.

No matter what I did, as my corals took off and my coraline algae thrived using this stuff, my calcium was hard to chase/keep up with. We found product by Seachem that really helped stabilize the calcium and that was called "Reef Complete". I dose the Reef complete usually in the morning (a cap) and then I dose the two part at night. When my pet sitter comes by, she doses the Reef Complete 10 minutes before the 2 part (Coral up and Coral up B) and we've never had an issue.

This really makes it a 3 part mix once your systems really takes off as you'll need the Reef Complete at some point. I really admire @redfishbluefish mix the most especially due to all the other hobby cost.

Here's a peak in my Seachem and CaribSea system
FullSizeRender.JPG

Revised with corrections on Caribdsea brand

Last edited:

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks... I’ve thought of that and might try it. How much per gallon do you think you’re using. I have a 60. With the BRS product I put in a lot of calcium and buffer daily.... like 70 ml. It may be cost effective but not at the quantity.

My tanks vary in dosage. The recommended starting dose from ESV is 1ml/4 gal. My 120 gal uses 40ml of each /day. I have 2 60 gal shallow frag/ grow out tank connected to same sump, adding 25ml of each in this one. Then there is a 29 bio cube which only has recordia mushrooms and some small corals 5ml of each per day. And a 65 gal heavily stocked takes up 30ml per day.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I too haven’t had issues with regular arm and hammer and Leslie’s pool supply Ca chloride (Dow pellets). Cheap as heII and lasts a lifetime. Epsom salts are cheap as well. No crashes. No complaints when I was dosing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back