Your local water contaminants list by zip code

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the &!??:)$! ????
My point exactly... Why I installed a water softener and run a 7 stage RODI. Even still, I burn DI resin like it's free...
Corals still thrive, but I have grown a third head

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have softener, whole house carbon filter and RO UNIT

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this paper:

Chlorate seems to effect brown algae the most in these studies.

From the paper:

“Clorate is rendered toxic by conversion to chlorite via nitrate reduction. Baltic Sea algae are mostly nitrogen limited and chlorate can easily take the place of nitrate. Chlorate and nitrate interact such that cells do not discriminate between the two.”

The chronic exposure levels for some brown algae’s were as low as 5ppb. That does give me some pause concerning coral Zooxanthellae.

My water is supposedly 14ppb. It seems like chlorate is stable is seawater so it might build up over time.
Hmmmm...mine is 542.5 ppb. Maybe I should move...lol.

Thanks for posting that paper. I'll be sure to read it.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm...mine is 542.5 ppb. Maybe I should move...lol.

Thanks for posting that paper. I'll be sure to read it.

I did read that it can be physically bound to GAC for some time period. Maybe make sure you change out your GAC on a regular basis.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did read that it can be physically bound to GAC for some time period. Maybe make sure you change out your GAC on a regular basis.
Interesting because the EFW site says carbon doesn't filter it out. I just looked up where I lived for 25 years and the chlorate is 700+ ppb. I never had a problem there, but I also used NSW a lot. When I set up a tank here I can still do that and probably will anyway.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting because the EFW site says carbon doesn't filter it out. I just looked up where I lived for 25 years and the chlorate is 700+ ppb. I never had a problem there, but I also used NSW a lot. When I set up a tank here I can still do that and probably will anyway.

I think it’s just really bad at it, and can break thru

section 7.2.6
“chlorate was not reduced but was only physically and reversibly sorbed by GAC.”

Another discussion seems to indicate brine conditions increase absorption, but it’s not clear to me what those brine levels are.

Albert Bazaar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this might be helpful and remove some of the mystery surrounding providing suitable water for your reefs.

I found this link to a website "www.ewg.org". It shows using your zip code what contaminants are in your municipal water supply and what will remove them.

Now I understand why my anion DI depletes so fast. You will never drink unfiltered tapwater again.
Cool man!!! A very helpful post.I moved to Louisiana and I know the water here is poisonous,it kills turtles and will kill fish with carbon pretreating it.I suspect it's Flouride,but can't get ahold of the water works.they don't answer their phone and probably wouldn't tell me anyway.Anyway, A GREAT AND HELPFUL POST!!!THANK YOU!!!

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks, just so that you can put human health effects in perspective from the standpoint of tap water, you should realize that EWG's "health guideline" for a particular contaminant is somewhat suspect. EWG is an advocacy group, and wikipedia includes this statement:

"The accuracy of the EWG reports and statements have been criticized, as has its funding by the organic lobby.[2][3][4][5] Its warnings have been labeled "alarmist", "scaremongering" and "misleading". "

The general statement about popular science articles and websites about the risk of environmental contaminants is that they strongly lack perspective. Many of these contaminants noted by EWG as "potential effect: cancer" have only a theoretical link to human metastasis. Even in the case where there is no doubt about a causative link between an environmental contaminant and human cancer, such as radon exposure, the additional risk at the levels that are regulated in municipal water supplies is tiny.

To understand this point, let's examine the risk of arsenic. Arsenic is a known carcinogen, with a positive link to certain human cancers. Rice as a crop often has elevated levels of arsenic compared to other grains because of the way it's grown and the regions where it's grown. The additional risk has been extensively analyzed, and approximately speaking, the risk of the arsenic contained in rice is 39 additional cancers per million individuals in the population for someone eating rice 3 to 4 times a week, with a 90% confidence interval between 0 and 79.

On the face of it, to some in our population that sounds unacceptably risky. However, one needs to understand that the total risk of developing cancer of any type is about 390,000 out of a million. So even calculating the additional risk of a known human carcinogen is quite difficult over the "noise" in the data set.

Last edited:

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"The water sucks...it really, really sucks!"
iu

OP
OP
Admann

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone,
Please understand it was not my intent to create panic or be an alarmist, I only wanted to hopefully start a conversation about what each of our water sources contain and how to properly remove them on a case by case basis.
I would not have known GFO would bind chlorate for a time. So, I learned something.

BeachBumm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add that by far my biggest concern with tap water is copper, and copper can easily pass epa guidelines while still being way too high for a reef (0.5 ppm, for example).
Would a properly working RODI unit remove copper ? Just curious because here in South Florida most all in house water pipes are copper . Thanks !!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone,
Please understand it was not my intent to create panic or be an alarmist, I only wanted to hopefully start a conversation about what each of our water sources contain and how to properly remove them on a case by case basis.
I would not have known GFO would bind chlorate for a time. So, I learned something.

An RO/di is always sufficient. I don’t think anyone needs to look more closely unless they are trying to use some other method instead, or they are just curious.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a properly working RODI unit remove copper ? Just curious because here in South Florida most all in house water pipes are copper . Thanks !!

yes. There is no drinkable water that a properly functioning ro/di won’t make suitable for a reef tank.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back