Your opinions on this Next Generation of Reef tank?

scottrotton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to start a thread on what you think the next gen reef system should be and whats important to reshape reefing over the next 10 years.

Heres what i would like to see.

An all in one system that not only looks sleek, i dont want to see cables anywhere but also integrates the following feature.

Cloud and auto management of Alk Mag and Cal, built into a sleekbox. not a standalong dosing pump

Integrated frag system which has a set height for lights, because of this the system knows the exat part you using as the calculations have been done in production so we know roughly how much par the tank and frag system is getting without a par meter. The frag system would sit above the sump on the larger systems.

Cloud management for Nitrate and Phos - you dial in a number the tank runs multiple tests per day and keeps the level stable. Even doses on your behalf i needs be.

I think this is the way to go, with a yearly subscription that covers you for quarterly ICP tests and also included dosing elements.

In my eyes that's a complete system, and would run kind of like a subscription service, it tanks out the guess work for beginners and would bring a whole new level of success to reefers.

As everything would be so controlled it would also take some of the variables out when we are trying work out problems in the tank.

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this, what do you think the next big thing will be?!

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the RedSea and Waterbox style of a unified package, but would like to see more modular options. Options to pick different overflows, return pumps, sumps, manifolds, etc. Also, standardized plumbing.

OP
OP
scottrotton

scottrotton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be modular, so it should be competitive with the stand alone items, or you should be able to add them easily to the system so if you don't have the money upfront there is an upgrade path which is clearly defined.
Say
3k for basic tank, should also include heater, chiller optional
500 for frag system
1000 for tri dosing and testing
Monitor system should be free app

So ultimatly it would cost 4-6k upfront with a monthly $60 subscription for ICP and supplements (subject to usage policy)

What do you think it should cost?

OP
OP
scottrotton

scottrotton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the RedSea and Waterbox style of a unified package, but would like to see more modular options. Options to pick different overflows, return pumps, sumps, manifolds, etc. Also, standardized plumbing.

Thats exatly what i was thinking, same design which i already love, but a nice modular system the works in perfect unity

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Red Sea has gotten pretty close to this with their Reef Care Recipes and hey, they will even have cloud controlled dosing pumps shortly. If I was a beginner that didn't want to do much research, I think I would see moderate success if I bought one of the Max series tanks and started following the mixed reef recipe, dosing everything as stated in their guide. Eventually, there may be a dosing calibration programs for their pumps for alk/calc where just by software you could enter daily readings from the same time of day and the amount dosed throughout the day is determined. I expect Red Sea to follow behind Neptune's Trident and maybe even the manual daily readings during calibration would be eliminated. I think the original post by the OP is pretty reasonable if you combine what's being done today by Red Sea, Neptune, and Triton (since at-home ICP is pretty far out) and you have a fairly set it and forget it system. Combine a service company for install and besides collecting the samples for ICP testing, you wouldn't be doing much except for cleaning and viewing/placing corals.

I wonder if there could ever be a partnership at some level where Neptune would sell an Apex with add'l modules preprogrammed and installed into the cabinet of a Red Sea Max. Those conversations would probably stop when they got to which powerheads and dosing pumps to use.

As for next generation ICP, I'm glad to see Triton showing off their new N-DOC test and Triton Organics this year. I think this will cover nitrate and phosphate control from the OP. I don't see a reason for multiple time per day nitrate/phosphate testing. What would be neat to see from Triton is a higher priced test where they will send you prefilled dosing vials/syringes for the elements that need adjustment. It would cost more than just the test but you would know you're getting the specific amounts of additives needed to get your tank in line with their suggestions. This may not be possible for the elements that need maintenance dosing but the initial corrections would be covered. Then I'm not paying 32 dollars for a liter of potassium when I need 17 ml for a smaller tank.

OP
OP
scottrotton

scottrotton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Red Sea has gotten pretty close to this with their Reef Care Recipes and hey, they will even have cloud controlled dosing pumps shortly. If I was a beginner that didn't want to do much research, I think I would see moderate success if I bought one of the Max series tanks and started following the mixed reef recipe, dosing everything as stated in their guide. Eventually, there may be a dosing calibration programs for their pumps for alk/calc where just by software you could enter daily readings from the same time of day and the amount dosed throughout the day is determined. I expect Red Sea to follow behind Neptune's Trident and maybe even the manual daily readings during calibration would be eliminated. I think the original post by the OP is pretty reasonable if you combine what's being done today by Red Sea, Neptune, and Triton (since at-home ICP is pretty far out) and you have a fairly set it and forget it system. Combine a service company for install and besides collecting the samples for ICP testing, you wouldn't be doing much except for cleaning and viewing/placing corals.

I wonder if there could ever be a partnership at some level where Neptune would sell an Apex with add'l modules preprogrammed and installed into the cabinet of a Red Sea Max. Those conversations would probably stop when they got to which powerheads and dosing pumps to use.

As for next generation ICP, I'm glad to see Triton showing off their new N-DOC test and Triton Organics this year. I think this will cover nitrate and phosphate control from the OP. I don't see a reason for multiple time per day nitrate/phosphate testing. What would be neat to see from Triton is a higher priced test where they will send you prefilled dosing vials/syringes for the elements that need adjustment. It would cost more than just the test but you would know you're getting the specific amounts of additives needed to get your tank in line with their suggestions. This may not be possible for the elements that need maintenance dosing but the initial corrections would be covered. Then I'm not paying 32 dollars for a liter of potassium when I need 17 ml for a smaller tank.

Agreed red sea are relatively close, the final hurdle is the difficult part, and i believe the most important. Apex are close but they dont provide the entire package, so maybe a partnership would be beneficial. Hey they did it with AI and that worked out pretty well for them. The tanks still look sleek and Red sea provide all the settings needed for the beginner reefer to have success.

The more you think about it the more it makes sense, the reason i think its important for multiple tests per day is that is the holy grail of stability. it can also be used as a method to rule out any anomalies for the tests. the last thing we need is a system having a fault tests and dumping a lot of additives into the tank. Maybe some AI that is smart enough to predict when a test may be wrong as messages the user to do a manual test and calibrate.

Back