Your preferred filtration

What is your filtration/preferred filtration?

• Media (Carbon, gfo, etc) plus reactors only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Refugium and media and reactors only

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

1.0reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I was wondering about some of the filtration methods and how successful they've been for some of the other R2R members :)
If you'd like, It'd be nice to give a few details on your tank and a few comments on how successful it has been.
I'll go first:
Fuge only, very large (Compared to the DT), hasn't been setup yet.

Last edited:

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a nano that I hope will rely on rock, fuge, and water changes. We'll see how it goes, but my current tank relies on filter socks, fuge, skimmer, and a media reactor.

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a skimmer and a refugium along with vodka and ozone....

I used to have some reactors filled with carbon,
But I had issues with opening it and cleaning it every month.
Now I just put my carbon in little bags with some phos remover as well

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer 1lb/gallon in my display along with 2 inches of sand, powerheads on wave controllers for ocean motion.
Overflow drains into my scrubber, which drains to my sump. This has a skimmer and some rock along with the ATO and auto water change plumbing.
Tanks never really had issues I didn't make myself.

Palting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system is an oddball, but has been working well with an SPS dominated mixed reef for 3 1/2 years now. Live rock with almost 50X flow, 30 gallon sump with two giant biowheels, skimmer rated for twice the DT volume, and a 20 gallon dedicated remote refugium full of macroalgae.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Voted!

general0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a skimmer and just GFO and Carbon. I used to run a Refugium along with the other two but it just ended up being more work than good I felt. Upgrading to a better skimmer and changing out my GFO and carbon on a regular schedule the tank looks better than ever!

G2theRam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No mater what filter I have used over the last 15 years in the hobby I have always followed one rule and that is to have oversized filters. My thought is the more your filter can do for you the more time you have to enjoy your aquarium

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely oversize! Especially when you are working with canisters and hang ons. Refugiums need to be bigger than most are too...otherwise they grow more pods than filter the water. Heck even if your display tank has room for upsizing, you might as well do so. Bigger is always more stable, unless your stand is wobbly :)

Fragmatic Jr.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 90 DT with about 100 lbs LR, 12 sump with four chambers (just uses settlement), 12 refug w/live rubble, skimmer, and plan for a 28 display refugium. Everything is healthy and happy.
P.S.....Big can of worms here, but I don't do water changes. Setup ran for about 9 months without WC, no issues, just moved it three weeks ago, all is going good. I do frequent water tests, all stays well balanced.

shse666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure the answer addresses the question. What is the meaning of life? Its 42. (For you DA fans.)
I have what ended up being a typical Berlin LR only system on my softie reef that I've posted about. I didn't know it was called a Berlin system back then. :)
My preds have more of a trickle filter setup with ultra heavy mechanical filtration.

The best size for a refugium? Slightly bigger than your display tank. I'm much less of a fan on Mangroves and other "all natural" systems because fans of the hobby tend to overstock the tank for such systems to work well.

My Lionfish does not process things that well and the other animals are thrilled to clean up behind him. Gross, but the way of things in nature. I think there are several great ways to a successful tank. Depends on your goals.

caldone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 90g and I use a skimmer rated for 200g along with a refugium, so far no issues.

+1 i run a 200 g rated skimmer, fuge, DSB, cheateo, mangrooves, a lot of live rock and flow in the DT
On my 92 gallon

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a skimmer rated for 250gallons. My display is 120gallons. I also seeded the dry rock with lr and I have a 60gallon refuge. In total I have about 240gallons in my system.

sent from T-Mobile GSIII

Mr. D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oversized skimmer, pound per gallon of LR, solid water movement and carbon. I try things here and there, but those four always work well for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

bmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very simple..big skimmer..pound of liver rock per gallon....sponge pre filters...filter socks..fuge..and small weekly water changes...run this way for over 20 years...

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 127 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back