Your Resident Electrician for all your electrical questions!

dbrewsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SteveSTL - thanks for the confirmation. I was originally thinking if I connect the hot and neutrals of the outlet to the line connectors side, that will make the gfcis trip independently and continue to flow power to the rest of the circuit.

Would it really be worth the trouble or should I simply use a gfci circuit breaker? Would I have increased chances of nuisance trips using the GFCI breaker vs individual outlets? I am more concerned with redundancy and reliable power than the easiest solution. Thanks for your assistance!

dbrewsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SteveSTL - at this time im looking at:

- ATI 8x54 dimmable t-5
- 2 kessil A360WE
-300-400 watts of heaters
-Eco Tech Vectra L1
-2 Eco Tech Vortech MP40QD
-Eco tech reeflink
-Tunze ATO
-APEX
-APEX DOS pump
-led accent lights
- more in the future????

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good advice. I would chop out the concrete by first drilling a series of holes in the concrete, 3/8" holes will be fine. Just drill them all around and larger than the box is. Chisel out the middle. Concrete is easy to drill and chop.

dbrewsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little hesitant about chiseling concrete on the foundation, I doubt it would hurt anything but seems a bit..... irreversible :oops:. The outlet by the right hand side of the tank is actually fairly hidden. I have my ATO container and my equipment panel mounted near it. In theory I could just put a 2 gang box there and not need to use the existing outlet on the left hand side of the tank at all. This may be a cleaner solution anyways. Do you all think putting a external two gang box over that outlet would make sense?

You can see what i'm talking about in my build thread, sorry i know its confusing! https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dbrewskys-120-gallon-build.229666/

dbrewsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW guys I really do appreciate your responses, it definitely helps to have outside perspectives and experience. I just want to find the best solution for what im trying to achieve before making major modifications.

michaelrc51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always put a Wiremold box on top of the in wall box. It's not ideal but nothing wrong with it if you don't feel like opening up the block foundation.
Structurally I think you are fine but I completely understand if you don't want to do it. Not sure I would on my own house but at work I have done it lots.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK- here's a new question: I recently bought a house with a well, and switched to the newly available town water immediately. I ended up with a brand new Stenner dosing pump I want to use for my ATO. We tore out all the plumbing and electric in the water room, and now as I'm setting up the ATO I see that the stenner pump plug has the two prongs rotate 90. Looking online it looks like it is 15 amp 250 VAC. I no longer have such an outlet. What should I do???

michaelrc51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK- here's a new question: I recently bought a house with a well, and switched to the newly available town water immediately. I ended up with a brand new Stenner dosing pump I want to use for my ATO. We tore out all the plumbing and electric in the water room, and now as I'm setting up the ATO I see that the stenner pump plug has the two prongs rotate 90. Looking online it looks like it is 15 amp 250 VAC. I no longer have such an outlet. What should I do???

Well, you are going to have to install a 220AC line and receptacle if you want to use it.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked in the water room, and fortunately it appears that the electrician left the 220 vac box, so I can install an outlet. Unfortunately, its 20 feet from my sump room- do they make such an extension cord? I've been looking at amazon and not finding it. Who knew there were so many plug types!!

michaelrc51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked in the water room, and fortunately it appears that the electrician left the 220 vac box, so I can install an outlet. Unfortunately, its 20 feet from my sump room- do they make such an extension cord? I've been looking at amazon and not finding it. Who knew there were so many plug types!!

If it's a 20 amp circuit you'll need a 15amp 220VAC receptacle and you need to replace the 20amp breaker with a 15amp.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really have no idea how many amps anything is. I just google image searched with a description of the plug. :) It looked like the below. Why couldn't they just use regular power on the %$#!?! pump. I thought I would be saving money by using it.

298281_front500.jpg

michaelrc51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think that is a 15amo 220VAC plug. The 220VAC plugs/receptacles are different configurations so there isn't any possibility that you could plug one into an outlet that isn't correct and cause a fire.
So, that device is 15amp and you need to make sure you put the correct receptacle and also change the breaker to 15amp. The wire is 12ga since it's currently a 20amp circuit so you'll be fine as long as you put a 15amp receptacle and breaker.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to belabor this, but why do we think its a 20 amp circuit? I think the circuit was previously used to run this same pump, so it should be the same? The pump says .9 amp on it, if that's any help.

It seems like my only real problem is getting the power from the water room to the sump room. Guess I'll have to get the electrician back to relocate the line and put in a new outlet. Or sell the thing on ebay and get a more normal ato pump. That would be a shame though, as its pretty nice looking.

michaelrc51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you said it was.
If that was the same circuit it was plugged into before you should be good.

Yeah, just have someone relocate it.

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I am about to add a 20 Kw standby generator to my house and I would like to also add a whole house surge protector. How do I choose the right one for me? Would something like this work?

Matt40gIMFusion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pipe EMT for Electrical Metalic Tubing, is best, MC "Metal Clad cable" is secongand last is ROMEX. I would run separate neutrals and ground, therefore you need a total of 6 wires if you run EMT, if you rum MC or ROMEX run 2x12/2. Some counties allow you to do electrical work, most require a lisenced electrician to either file or do the work, as always I would advice to use caution because electricity can be deadly.

How much would this cost if i hired someone?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back