Your Tank's Story: What makes a good build thread? Check out the new TAGS!

Build Thread: Have you told us your tank's story?

• Yes

Votes: 241 44.6%
  • No

Votes: 266 49.3%
  • Not sure what that is

Votes: 27 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 1.1%

• Total voters

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like threads that have lots of pictures and updates. I'm actually going to start one soon as I just ordered something special for my little tank!

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I particularly like Start to Current with LOTS of pictures. Explanations of how something was set up, things you have tried that worked, or didn't.

My new 180g goes on the stand today! I hope to have water by the weekend!

IMG_2362.jpeg

Soooo close now.... :)

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thread is boring. I will be making it more fun this winter when I upgrade. I work too much to do more than write a few words. I am using more as a journal for now so I can see what I have wrong and right.

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had the time to hunt down all my old pictures. Plus I'm currently not happy with the state of my tank. I think those two factors have prevented me from creating a tank thread
Maybe this could be incentive to fix up your tank. Show us what’s wrong and then show us the progress to the fix.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A build thread to me is something that starts with an empty tank and gradually, via pictures, transforms into a reef. My problem is I forget to take pictures all along the way so my “reef build” Would be disjointed. That being said I would love to start a “reef build” thread.

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t started one here. When I lived in the U.K. I had build threads for all my tanks on ultimatereef, but I haven’t had time since moving here. Weirdly , I’ve taken photos along the way for a build. Just never posted them.

For what it’s worth, here is a pic of two of my three tanks

7017A8CD-665E-4705-A9C0-5CD54A42CBBE.jpeg A465B5D4-7425-4974-9238-65C44C9CE937.jpeg

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I for one do not like the prefixs. It’s a clutter on my alerts and to me serves no good function. What does it make easier? It’s to me easy to find build threads go to member tanks monster ski etc and browse without more verbiage tossed into alerts. I don’t know why but this really rankles me for some reason maybe not clicking on alert in same place the visual difference but it’s got me wanting to stop getting alerts
I’m probably just a weirdo and will return to my basement
My thoughts exactly. It’s distracting and redundant, I’m sure I’ll get used to it eventually but I’m not a fan. 99% of build threads are obvious just based on their title. AND the forum is listed for posts on the home page. Plus, the build thread contributor badge is a link the persons build thread. Am I missing the point?

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thread is boring. I will be making it more fun this winter when I upgrade. I work too much to do more than write a few words. I am using more as a journal for now so I can see what I have wrong and right.
Yes, I even look back at this and my other threads to see how things have changed. Having others read and comment does help me be motivated to take the extra time.

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be offended as being labeled a “Large Build” I’m 6ft tall and 160lbs that not large build material I don’t think :cool:
If you have a tank, you should definitely put it up here. If nothing else, it helps encourage you to clean the glass every once in a while! ;)

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new tank or build has a new-car-smell kind of vibe behind it, and definitely constitutes a good build thread
Yes, a new tank is way easier to keep up with than an old one, especially one with lots of problem algae or whatever. Half of my corals have died that I had in the JBJ tank waiting for this build to finish. I just didn't have the drive to keep up with it, AND build this stand and everything. Maybe that's one of the reasons we all keep upgrading to larger tanks, it's an excuse to start a new tank and get back into things again...

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally think having a build thread is definitely worth the time and effort. I generally post just about everything I do to my tank on it.

I'm not concerned about anyone really reading it all that much, it's really a tank journal. Track progression of corals, fish....etc. changes that I have done, changes or occurrences good or bad that have happened. Allows me to go back in time and see what I did, where I came from.

For me, it's a great place to record my tank!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I told the good and the bad of my current build thread. Now I am starting a new journey, taking the next step up to a 225 gal tank and I am starting another thread and journey into the unknown. :)

Follow along.:)

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just need to get one of those camera lenses for my phone off of amazon. The only thing stopping me from sharing more pictures of my tank is the lights washing out every picture i try to take.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Pictures tell the whole story along with descriptions as you go along the way

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What makes a build thread good to you? Why would you follow one over another?
Monster Tanks in general are good to see. Especially the end result.

2. Why do you or why do you not have a build thread here on R2R?
My build is too ghetto. I feel embarrassed to show it lol.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 27 25.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 39 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%

Back