Your Thoughts on Return Flow

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I recently upgraded my return pump to the Jecod DC8000 pump. I had purchased 2 from amazon 1 used and 1 new(backup). I was thinking about using this pump as my flow for my tank. Testing yesterday at 50% I noticed that it adequately provided flow to the sandbed area and the areas of my corals. Do you for see any issues with me using my return pump for in tank circulation?

Tank: 50G
Sump: 18G
Inhabitants: SPS, LPS, Zoas, Shrooms, Fish (may sell off) and Seahare (Algae control)
Reason: I have incorporated seahares as my primary cleanup crew and would like to remove the mp10 I have from my display and have 0 pumps in my display tank. Side note: Tank is currently suited for seahare; cover on overflow and screen on mp10WES-QD.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible, but I would be worried about dead zones.

I saw someone (I think on here) use ribbon tied to an acrylic rod. They placed the rod in the sand and then let the ribbon show the flow. I have never tried it, but I think I want to just for the fact that it sounds like a fun test! haha

The only way is to experiment and find out what works for your system!

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible, but I would be worried about dead zones.

I saw someone (I think on here) use ribbon tied to an acrylic rod. They placed the rod in the sand and then let the ribbon show the flow. I have never tried it, but I think I want to just for the fact that it sounds like a fun test! haha

The only way is to experiment and find out what works for your system!
The only dead spot that I know of would have been the sand bed area. I will try that ribbon test. I did order some more nozzles, splitters, and locline links so that I can cover several directions. On 100%, the should create enough flow through all the nozzles.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a good plan of attack with the loc-line accessories!

Post up some pictures or video of your test! I'd love to see how it turns out. :cool:

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get a gyre....I freaking love mine. I have the Dc1200 at 100% and it was no where near adequate. in my tank.
I had one. I sold it because I didn't like it. Too much time cleaning it for it to work properly and at the time I had small snails that easily stopped it from working properly. It's a good pump after you perform maintenance on it.

My DC is putting out enough flow. I just gotta install the other loclines so that I can multi-directional flow. I have it now on 50% and it is doing fine. Also, your tank is bigger than mine if I remember correctly. Mine is just 50g.

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one. I sold it because I didn't like it. Too much time cleaning it for it to work properly and at the time I had small snails that easily stopped it from working properly. It's a good pump after you perform maintenance on it.

My DC is putting out enough flow. I just gotta install the other loclines so that I can multi-directional flow. I have it now on 50% and it is doing fine. Also, your tank is bigger than mine if I remember correctly. Mine is just 50g.

Cleaning? I haven't had to clean mine once. Can you explain?

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning? I haven't had to clean mine once. Can you explain?
I had to keep dissembling just to get it work. Food and other particulates easily collected in/on it. If not, it will "red light" or you will have reduced flow. Other people are having the same issues. Also, a snail broke one of the impellers easily. It's a great concept for a pump but it's very cheaply made.

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I realized I had to keep cleaning it, it began to function properly but I grew tired of dissembling it.

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange about the Gyre. Been running mine for almost a year, cleaned it once, I'm anal like that. But have never had any issues like you describe.

You can just do a google search on Maxspect Gyre issues and you will see that it mostly a clogging issue which stalls out the pumps. Also, it wasn't a true gyre forming in my tank. I have an internal overflow in the center. On one side of the overflow would be a dead spot and collect all the detritus. At the time, I didn't have sand but I had so much detritus there it started to look like I had brown sand. (I know I was suppose to siphon it out; the point is that it was suspended)

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just do a google search on Maxspect Gyre issues and you will see that it mostly a clogging issue which stalls out the pumps. Also, it wasn't a true gyre forming in my tank. I have an internal overflow in the center. On one side of the overflow would be a dead spot and collect all the detritus. At the time, I didn't have sand but I had so much detritus there it started to look like I had brown sand. (I know I was suppose to siphon it out; the point is that it was suspended)
Not sure what you mean. I have an internal Glass Holes overflow and a Gyre 150. I shut my Gyre off when feeding, but so far I haven't had any issue with clogging.

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you mean. I have an internal Glass Holes overflow and a Gyre 150. I shut my Gyre off when feeding, but so far I haven't had any issue with clogging.
The glass holes overflow is not a full length overflow. I will draw you a visual aid when I get off work

BHHOWARD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to base the return pump flow on the skimmer rating. e.g. if the skimmer is rated to process 800 gallons per hour, I would size my return to handle that amount or less. Any additional in-tank flow can be handled with a powerhead or similar device.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back