Your Thoughts on the Fiji Nano Skimmer (NSK-70)

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fiji Cube Nano Protein Skimmer NSK-70​

Hello all, so my Ice-cap Nano Skimmer DIED last night after having it for a whopping 2 months and 6 days (65 days roughly)… Coralvue is planning on replacing the pump as of 4 pm MST from an email I received today. In the meantime, I am looking at the Fiji NSK-70 as a potential permanent replacement after reading some more reviews of the ICE-CAP skimmer. Currently, I have the IM Desktop Skimmer (back-up skimmer) running…but it is a little too loud on an AIO IM Fusion 20 for long-term use. What are your thoughts or experiences on the Fiji Skimmer NSK-70? I couldn't find any Youtube reviews anywhere

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where would you put it in the IM 20?
I might have misread the IM 20 wrong, I just saw that the dimensions are 4x2.98x7.9 dangit...I definitely miss read that one...I was looking only at the 4x7.9 dimensions of the Fiji Skimmer...Looks like it will be going right back as soon as it gets here this week...back to the search board...

STEEZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have misread the IM 20 wrong, I just saw that the dimensions are 4x2.98x7.9 dangit...I definitely miss read that one...I was looking only at the 4x7.9 dimensions of the Fiji Skimmer...Looks like it will be going right back as soon as it gets here this week...back to the search board...
There is also the Fiji cube nsk-50 which dimensions are *CLOSER* but still don’t think it would work. I emailed them about it and they basically said no go for my IM20. This is the measurements they gave me when I emailed. They said the part that is 3.15 isn’t really removable.

Attachments

• C6AF23AE-675B-4CFB-80B0-09CB364CB74E.jpeg
    C6AF23AE-675B-4CFB-80B0-09CB364CB74E.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 145

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it was a wishful thinking on my part...the entire refugium section is 2.8" wide on both sides of the tank to include the pump chamber section
The only other option would be the display. Have you considered a Tunze? Some folks switched out the single pump for duals and mounted the skimmer between them.

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is also the Fiji cube nsk-50 which dimensions are *CLOSER* but still don’t think it would work. I emailed them about it and they basically said no go for my IM20. This is the measurements they gave me when I emailed. They said the part that is 3.15 isn’t really removable.
lol u just placed the nail in the coffin for me...lol thx for the heads-up...

STEEZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol u just placed the nail in the coffin for me...lol thx for the heads-up...

I’ve been in the hunt for a decent skimmer for my IM20 for a while. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

maybe if you’re willing to cut it up and make some modifications, it could work. I’m not willing to take that risk on $100.

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only other option would be the display. Have you considered a Tunze? Some folks switched out the single pump for duals and mounted the skimmer between them.
No sure, which version of the Tunze are you referring to and can it fit in the chamber section?...In regards to the display...I wanted to continue the clean look

Attachments

• 20211115_165425.jpg
    20211115_165425.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 149
OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been in the hunt for a decent skimmer for my IM20 for a while. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

maybe if you’re willing to cut it up and make some modifications, it could work. I’m not willing to take that risk on $100.
Yeah neither am I...I am going to stick with the IM desktop as the backup and hold-on for now for my replacement Icecap pump...I had a recirculating system set-up to raise my daily ph...the IM skimmer doesn't give me that flexibility

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sure, which version of the Tunze are you referring to and can it fit in the chamber section?...In regards to the display...I wanted to continue the clean look
I believe it's the Tunze 9001. And it will only fit in the main pump chamber with modifications.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah neither am I...I am going to stick with the IM desktop as the backup and hold-on for now for my replacement Icecap pump...I had a recirculating system set-up to raise my daily ph...the IM skimmer doesn't give me that flexibility
check with your lfs, if they have a protein skimmer with a sicce se or sk 200 you can check to see if that pump fits into the protein skimmer. Sicce is probably a way better pump brand than used in the original skimmer anyway, just an option.
There are other nano skimmers like the aquamaxx ws 1 (not sure about the boxy shape) and the cad lights elite ii

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I was thinking the same thing, maybe I could upgrade to a different motor...I just didn't know which one is better. My LFS doesn't have that much selection here in El Paso

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend the aquamaxx nf-1. It’s a beast of a nano skimmer, silent, no microbubbles, and easy to adjust/dial in. I’ve tried several different nano skimmers, and this is by far the best one.

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend the aquamaxx nf-1. It’s a beast of a nano skimmer, silent, no microbubbles, and easy to adjust/dial in. I’ve tried several different nano skimmers, and this is by far the best one.
Hi, yeah I looked at that one as well...Which AIO do you have? I do not know it will fit on mine... I have the IM Fusion 20

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, yeah I looked at that one as well...Which AIO do you have? I do not know it will fit on mine... I have the IM Fusion 20
I have a 28g Nanocube. I don’t know the dimensions of the back chambers of the Fusion 20, but I’ve found that the dimensions listed on most retailers (BRS for example) are true to the actual size of the skimmer. One thing is that it performs better with the water level much lower than is recommended (ie it does better in 7” of water versus 10”). In an AIO, if the hood covers the back chambers, this could be an issue, the back chambers in the Nanocube aren’t covered by the hood, so it wasn’t issue (have since taken the hood off).

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 28g Nanocube. I don’t know the dimensions of the back chambers of the Fusion 20, but I’ve found that the dimensions listed on most retailers (BRS for example) are true to the actual size of the skimmer. One thing is that it performs better with the water level much lower than is recommended (ie it does better in 7” of water versus 10”). In an AIO, if the hood covers the back chambers, this could be an issue, the back chambers in the Nanocube aren’t covered by the hood, so it wasn’t issue (have since taken the hood off).
Thx for the input....my sump area is 2.8x4x7.9...The replacement pump from Icecap arrived today...but I am somewhat afraid I will have to replace the pump again...sooner rather than later.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at the aquamaxx ws-1, bigger size yes, but you can adjust water level and air intake and should be able to compensate. Because it has a small footprint and neck size it should work well on your size tank. It also has the sicce se 200 (or shark 1.0 same thing) on it so you can swap that onto the icecap if you like that skimmer body better. Buying the ws 1 would just give you two options in the future so its something to consider.
Again best of luck with whichever way you decide to go in the future for right now you might as well wait to see if this new pump even dies soon

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back