YWG Growth Rate and Predation

ecas12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently ordered a YWG online, assuming when I'd get him that he would be between 2-3 inches. He is actually around 1", which is really really small. How long would it take for him to start get to a size where I can actually see him in the tank? Also, if I plan on adding a Flame Hawk at some point, would the goby be small enough to be considered food, or do Hawkfish only view inverts as food? Same question goes for any pygmy angel. As for pistol shrimp, will any pistol shrimp still bond with a goby that small, or should I wait for it to grow out a bit?

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My YWG was tiny like that when I got him. He’d end up in my return (AIO) often and just sit on the filter pad till I’d rescue him. Almost instantly he was doing YWG things. No experience with the flame hawk behavior so couldn’t help,sorry. And as far as the pistol/goby pair….mines paired up with a tiger pistol and when pairing them up they it’s best to be matched sized wise.
Be warned. You will not be able to keep frags on the sand bed with a pistol shrimp.

OP
OP
E

ecas12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My YWG was tiny like that when I got him. He’d end up in my return (AIO) often and just sit on the filter pad till I’d rescue him. Almost instantly he was doing YWG things. No experience with the flame hawk behavior so couldn’t help,sorry. And as far as the pistol/goby pair….mines paired up with a tiger pistol and when pairing them up they it’s best to be matched sized wise.
Be warned. You will not be able to keep frags on the sand bed with a pistol shrimp.
How quickly did the goby grow, and how long did you wait before you paired him with an equally sized pistol shrimp?

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How quickly did the goby grow, and how long did you wait before you paired him with an equally sized pistol shrimp?
I waited about a year before I paired him up. In that year he grew big enough to keep from getting into my weir.

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently ordered a YWG online, assuming when I'd get him that he would be between 2-3 inches. He is actually around 1", which is really really small. How long would it take for him to start get to a size where I can actually see him in the tank? Also, if I plan on adding a Flame Hawk at some point, would the goby be small enough to be considered food, or do Hawkfish only view inverts as food? Same question goes for any pygmy angel. As for pistol shrimp, will any pistol shrimp still bond with a goby that small, or should I wait for it to grow out a bit?
Mine took around 9 months to a year to get from 1 inch long to 3 inches long. Get a pistol shrimp to pair with him and it will be 2 against one with the angel!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 136 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back