Ywg pair update

RJ Harris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As most you know I have a breeding pair of ywg. We they're probably on there 10th batch since they've started laying. But there's something cool that I learned the other night when I went to turn my sump light off. Some of you may know about what I'm going to say some may not. And being there's not many if any at all captive bred ywg this could be something new. They both were at the entrance of there hole with there tails facing out pushing all the babies out about 15 minutes after the lights went out. I would assume to give the babies the best chance they could get. So I learned they don't watch after there babies once they hatch which I didn't know and I didn't know when they hatched. But it makes sense they hatch around dark.

I would have tried to scoop some out if I had a tank set up for them but I didn't so I tried the next best thing I could think of. I took out all the filter socks and sponges going to my sump in hopes some would stay in the chateo and rocks in my fuge then I could think something up the next day. That didn't work. The next day they were all gone my cardinals were the first to start feasting I saw when they were being pushed out and probably my Mandy's too.

Next time I will be ready and try again. I have ha lfs that's expressed interest in buying if I can ever get them to the appropriate size

Just thought it was something cool I'd share in case someone wanted to fill there head with useless knowledge as my wife jokingly says

Here's a pic of the pair
IMG_1698.JPG

OP
OP
RJ Harris

RJ Harris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I'm going to try to establish a population of parvo pods in a 5 gallon tank with a could sponge filters and some rock and sand and I'll have the small stain of rotifers culturing in a bucket. Hopefully with the population of parvos they can kinda fend for themselves as I don't have hours and hours everyday to dedicated to them

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I'm going to try to establish a population of parvo pods in a 5 gallon tank with a could sponge filters and some rock and sand and I'll have the small stain of rotifers culturing in a bucket. Hopefully with the population of parvos they can kinda fend for themselves as I don't have hours and hours everyday to dedicated to them

Keep in mind that Parvocalanus need to be fed live algae; they do really well on Isochrysis along with a diatom like Chaetoceros or Thalassiosira. They will not populate a tank without a constant source of live algae. I have been working with this species for 10 years now and they can be quite demanding. Also, a sponge filter can actually trap them and kill them, same with rock and substrate. They are a pelagic species never really coming in contact with substrate. The rotifers will do great in the bucket.

Chad

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back