YWG Quarantine

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i’ve been treating my yellow watchman for a bacterial infection with metroplex for about 3 weeks now and his behavior seems to have improved along with his overall health. I’ve noticed that his actual wound hasn’t healed significantly and metroplex states that it can only be dosed up to 3 weeks so what do i do now? Here are some before and after images
3C0BF0A8-68CE-4E16-B7D5-7E14BD8C6744.jpeg
EAC4868B-72FB-4ED0-8848-DD57A1AB7B74.jpeg
FFB09554-19CD-43D1-B42E-38BFB5C727B8.jpeg
His coloring is fantastic now but that wound won’t seem to close..

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metroplex isn’t primarily an antibiotic, and it only affects anaerobic bacteria. This lesion is open to the water, so would be infected by aerobic bacteria, likely Aeromonas. I would treat with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex. A lesion this large is going to take a long time to heal, and it may leave a scar.

Jay

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I h
Metroplex isn’t primarily an antibiotic, and it only affects anaerobic bacteria. This lesion is open to the water, so would be infected by aerobic bacteria, likely Aeromonas. I would treat with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex. A lesion this large is going to take a long time to heal, and it may leave a scar.

Jay
I have Kanaplex on hand, should I be treating that with the Metroplex? Always great to get some advice from you, thank you!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop the metroplex al together - you've already dosed it long enough, and I still don't see any indication for its use. Kanaplex or Neoplex, or even Maracyn 2 would be better choices. Here is the thing about antibiotics though - without a sensitivity test, all we can do is guess at which one will work best.

Jay

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop the metroplex al together - you've already dosed it long enough, and I still don't see any indication for its use. Kanaplex or Neoplex, or even Maracyn 2 would be better choices. Here is the thing about antibiotics though - without a sensitivity test, all we can do is guess at which one will work best.

Jay
sounds good! Should I dose the Kanaplex into the water column or mix it into his food?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 22 16.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 92 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back