Zero nitrate

jdm4jeremy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3week old 75gal and I have zero ammonia, zero nitrite and zero nitrate. 55 lbs of live rock, 60 lbs of ocean direct sand, 4 fish, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 urchin, hermit crab and conch snail. Had a 40 gal set up for 3 months and took all my bio filter, 40 lbs live rock and transferred to new tank. I use a Red Sea test kit and also had water tested at the LFS and the got zeros as well.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3week old 75gal and I have zero ammonia, zero nitrite and zero nitrate. 55 lbs of live rock, 60 lbs of ocean direct sand, 4 fish, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 urchin, hermit crab and conch snail. Had a 40 gal set up for 3 months and took all my bio filter, 40 lbs live rock and transferred to new tank. I use a Red Sea test kit and also had water tested at the LFS and the got zeros as well.

Assuming those are not test errors which I suspect, what is your phosphate level?

You need to be careful if you truly have zero nitrate and also zero phosphate

OP
OP
J

jdm4jeremy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming those are not test errors which I suspect, what is your phosphate level?

You need to be careful if you truly have zero nitrate and also zero phosphate
I have tested several times with the same results. Also had a lfs test just to be sure and N03 NH3 Po4 all test at zero

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had to dose neophos and neonitro when my 5g was bottomed out. I think I got large cell Dino’s (dark brown stringy stuff) but with the addition on N&P and 6 more astria snails i got it under control in about two weeks. If you DO have the start of Dino’s getting your N&P detectable is very important. Also a zeroed out tank will starve any corals you may have.

OP
OP
J

jdm4jeremy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to dose neophos and neonitro when my 5g was bottomed out. I think I got large cell Dino’s (dark brown stringy stuff) but with the addition on N&P and 6 more astria snails i got it under control in about two weeks. If you DO have the start of Dino’s getting your N&P detectable is very important. Also a zeroed out tank will starve any corals you may have.
Lucky I have no coral yet! The only reason I have livestock at all is because I upgraded from my 40 gal. Trying to go slow for this very reason. I plan on feeding more, dosing neophos and neonitro, I’ve already turned my lights off and I will start vacuuming my sand bed and brushing my live rock.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back