Zero nitrates and phosphate

jdpeters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested my nitrates and phosphate today with salifert and it read 0. I haven’t tested in over 2 years and was surprised to find that reading. System is void of algae entirely minus the small bits of film on the glass I remove every other day. System is a 42g with some mostly softy and lps. 1 small clown and chromis.
I feed them a mix of food twice daily and use reef roids once a week. Corals and fish all look healthy.
Is there any reason to raise nitrate or phosphate? I always assume zero is desirable but then I read about people intentionally not maintaining zero. Should I test a day after reef roids? Also I want to get my skimmer running, is it a bad idea? Thanks guys

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all have the want to make it better and fiddle with stuff. but ........If you need to mess with something I would get another tank to play with.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had regular zero reading & still too much algae but had cyano & chrysophytes coming on. I started dosing. still have the too much algae ! I envy You jdpeters Info above is spot on .

OP
OP
jdpeters

jdpeters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had regular zero reading & still too much algae but had cyano & chrysophytes coming on. I started dosing. still have the too much algae ! I envy You jdpeters Info above is spot on .
lol ok. I had dinos
I had dinos and bubble algae for months this year I’m pretty excited and motivated now

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back