Zero nitrates! What are my options?

calimatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about 6 months in. I had my (1st?!) green hair algae battle recently. My nitrates were high. I think my phosphates were high but my API test kept giving me 0 readings (I have since switched to a Hanna). I got the algae under control with a combo of Vibrant, manual removal as well as adding 3 Mexican Turbos (those guys are awesome). The problem now is that my nitrates were decimated and I have a dino bloom. Also my LPS are not doing well and my softies are stunted. What can I do to get the nitrates up and not create another problem that I have to turn to this lovely community to solve?

I'm skimming less and feeding a bit more. Is there an additive like the Phosphat-E (it worked very well) but to raise nitrates?

I have a Red Sea E 260 (69 Gallon)
Paramitters:
Ammonia: .1
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0 (this is the issue)
Phosphate: .08 (down from .35)
Calcium: 440
Alk: 8.512
Magnesium: 1400
Salinity: 1.026
pH: 8.1
temp 76.28

MA Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about 6 months in. I had my (1st?!) green hair algae battle recently. My nitrates were high. I think my phosphates were high but my API test kept giving me 0 readings (I have since switched to a Hanna). I got the algae under control with a combo of Vibrant, manual removal as well as adding 3 Mexican Turbos (those guys are awesome). The problem now is that my nitrates were decimated and I have a dino bloom. Also my LPS are not doing well and my softies are stunted. What can I do to get the nitrates up and not create another problem that I have to turn to this lovely community to solve?

I'm skimming less and feeding a bit more. Is there an additive like the Phosphat-E (it worked very well) but to raise nitrates?

I have a Red Sea E 260 (69 Gallon)
Paramitters:
Ammonia: .1
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0 (this is the issue)
Phosphate: .08 (down from .35)
Calcium: 440
Alk: 8.512
Magnesium: 1400
Salinity: 1.026
pH: 8.1
temp 76.28
Less water change frequency or i dose a bit of Seachem Flourish nitrogen 5-10 ml in ATO per week.

Not an expert but i wouldnt do it until u get ur phos lower. I noticed less than 0.05 phos is required to really reduce hair algae.

Adding nitrogen with higher phos invites an algae bloom

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to fight will 0 nitrate and there are commercial products you can dose to raise nitrates. I used stump remover personally though.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to naturally bring it up versus dosing something to bring them up. You can use some natural things to bring em up like feeding fish a little more, and broadcast feeding the corals with some coral food.

MA Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm debating on getting the hanna ultra low nitrate checker but not sure it matters

If API registers 0.....there is probably some nitrate in there. Not sure i would really care if its 0.5 or 2.....both would probably register 0 on traditional color kits.

Testing all the time might just be a waste of time and $$

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm debating on getting the hanna ultra low nitrate checker but not sure it matters

If API registers 0.....there is probably some nitrate in there. Not sure i would really care if its 0.5 or 2.....both would probably register 0 on traditional color kits.

Testing all the time might just be a waste of time and $$
When it comes to nitrate concentration, knowing the approximate level seems like “good enough” for hobby.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back