Zero nutrients (Phosphates and Nitrates)

JohnnyDreadlock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, this feels like a dumb question. I’m aware that ULN systems were the main way people kept SPS and LPS coral before. Yet, I’m hearing some hobbyists claiming they run ZERO for both phosphate and nitrates. My assumption is that there’s a false reading with the test kit, or the nutrient export is too good and levels are just managed during feedings. I personally don’t think it’s possible since I’ve always heard that there’s trace amounts of both within natural saltwater at all times. Especially in our enclosed reef tanks, they usually run higher. Is it really possible for corals to live without those two things? If a system was truly void of these two things, what could happen to our inhabitants?

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can absolutely have a true 0 nitrates and phosphates with gfo or carbon dosing. If you test po4 with Hanna ultra low phosphorous checker and get a zero or Red Sea low range nitrate kit 0 and you don’t have an abundance of fish feeding multiple times per day you will definitely run into trouble.
If you use a api test kit for nitrates and phosphates and get 0 you could have anywhere from zero to more then enough. I guess it comes down to the accuracy of the test and the a amount of nutrients in to nutrients out.

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t forget test can show 0 but there is a percentage of error on the specific test kit you use.
so it might show say 0 but it’s really 5ppm as a example

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back