Zero TDS coming out, but high TDS in storage container

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So long story short, I am getting 0 TDS to my 50-gallon water vats; all good so far

1 water vat is used only for mixing salt water and 1 is only for RO/DI water. The water that goes into the salt mixing vat will always have TDS, as from the previous mix, there will still be salt and residue left over.

My question is: Do I care if the water picks up TDS while in the water containers?

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deionized water will naturally increase in TDS as it is exposed to CO2 in the air, even if you keep it covered and nothing physical contaminates it. As CO2 dissolves into deionized water, it will form carbonic acid. Carbonic acid will increase the electrical conductivity of the water in the container, which will register as TDS to a TDS meter.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No there shouldn't be a problem unless you have a bad vat that is leaching something bad into the water.

OP
OP
CC13

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No there shouldn't be a problem unless you have a bad vat that is leaching something bad into the water.
Deionized water will naturally increase in TDS as it is exposed to CO2 in the air, even if you keep it covered and nothing physical contaminates it. As CO2 dissolves into deionized water, it will form carbonic acid. Carbonic acid will increase the electrical conductivity of the water in the container, which will register as TDS to a TDS meter.

Ya that's what I thought. Thanks guys.

Water vats I am using are for water storage and holding.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Practical info. I had never thought about that. Is that a significant enough H+ to cause a significant decrease in stored water?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back