Zoa eating nudibranch problem

shibbyplustax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so i come home from house sitting a friends house today and upon a close inspection of my tank i noticed my zoas didn't look too happy. Looking closer i also noticed quite a few nudis around my zoas all looking similar to this
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378767740.243959.jpg
i am going to assume they are zoa eaters cause they all seem to be by my unhappy zoas. Besides dipping my frags and picking them off by hand, are there any other ways of ridding these pests from my tank. Btw my tank is a nanocube 24

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a nudibranch to me. You can dip them to kill them but you'll have to also remove the eggs, which look like white spirals on the zoas. Good luck!

StReNuOuS BiOmArKeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipping every three days with lugols n a powerhead 1 gallon of salt to 30 drops of lugols but u gotta do it for atleast 1.5 months it sucks but so
does watchin ur stuff waste away

LOVETHISHOBBY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Coral Rx to dip. The directions say to only dip for 10 minutes which I follow for most corals. On zoos, I don't. I will dip for almost an hour in an attempt to try and kill the eggs. So far, knock on wood, it has worked.

OP
OP
S

shibbyplustax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Coral Rx to dip. The directions say to only dip for 10 minutes which I follow for most corals. On zoos, I don't. I will dip for almost an hour in an attempt to try and kill the eggs. So far, knock on wood, it has worked.
Im going to start dipping on a weekly basis with some revive i have. I was hoping i wouldnt have to tear the tank up to much since i have these frags puttied to the rock but i guess i have no choice. I was also thinking about pocking up a possum wrasse in hopes it would eat some of them, sound like a good idea?

OP
OP
S

shibbyplustax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh this sucks, i thought i was being careful when adding corals but i guess i was not careful enough.

akitareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure when you dip you vigorously shake them off. I've found dipping only stuns them. I've left them in dip for days and their still alive. Just dip every once in a while, remove eggs and you'll get rid of them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dip them once weekly 5-10 mins for a minimum of 3 weeks in marine melafix and suck out any you can see with a turkey baster...if you can add a wrasse from the haliechoeres family of wrasses they are awesome guard dogs

OP
OP
S

shibbyplustax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dip them once weekly 5-10 mins for a minimum of 3 weeks in marine melafix and suck out any you can see with a turkey baster...if you can add a wrasse from the haliechoeres family of wrasses they are awesome guard dogs

My tank is only 24g and those seem to be on the bugger side. Do you think a possum wrasse will help at all?

OP
OP
S

shibbyplustax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipping weekly (while shaking vigorously) and the addition of a yellow wrasse seems to be pretty effective. I will continue to do this for a few more weeks and see if i can rid them from my tank for good.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.3%
Back