Zoa eating pods?

Codeman28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up today and noticed one of my zoa's half eaten, when I say half eaten.. I mean looks like something was munching on it and decided it was full.. the side of it was missing.. thought it was odd, so I moved the frag. When I got home tonight my tanks lights were on moon light and I looked at the frag and sure as day a pod (fairly big sucker) sitting on the half eating zoa chowing down on it.

Anyone ever seen that?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up today and noticed one of my zoa's half eaten, when I say half eaten.. I mean looks like something was munching on it and decided it was full.. the side of it was missing.. thought it was odd, so I moved the frag. When I got home tonight my tanks lights were on moon light and I looked at the frag and sure as day a pod (fairly big sucker) sitting on the half eating zoa chowing down on it.

Anyone ever seen that?
Was it a pod or a zoa eating nudibranch? I've never personally seen a pod eat a zoa. Interested to see others input

OP
OP
C

Codeman28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 25g cube, I'm thinking either a mandrian or a wrasse... Any suggestions

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amphipods that big are too big for a Madarin, they will not eat them.
There is little documentation that some Amphipods types eat zoanthids, but the pods are rather eating dead or dying tissue. Personally I feel (no scientific evidence) that some larger pods may become opportunistic eaters.
Interceptor will significantly knock down their numbers. A damsel would probably eat them as well.

Jonathan Presseau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my tanks is 100% Z&Ps and I have watched over the years certain amphipods munch on them. I am not sure if it is only when they are dying or not, but they definitely were eating them. I added a wrasse and he managed to eat even the big ones.

Sexy shrimp will also munch on the zoas, but I have only seen the go after the lashes and not the bodies like the amphipods do.

brawthy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have nudibranchs or something like a gorilla crab.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 197 70.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 52 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back