Zoa farming questions

Kylesreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I'm looking to build a frag tank, I have 9 square feet of space and I want to build huge zoa colonies. No cost limit on lighting, flow, feeding, filtration, cost of zoanthids species, etc. I just want the most insane little zoa colony, "farm" tank ever , with no other purposes.

What would you guys do? Bare bottomed tank, with no rock or fish, any depth or flow is fine to me, but I'd like to be able to have some sort of tank that grows zoanthids exclusively, extremely well. Thoughts? Ideas?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use standard 4’ x 2’ x 1’ Zoo Med Low Boys with Eshopps Eclipse Over Flows for frag farming.
For $180 bucks, perfect to grow out stuff.

You can just keep adding another frag tank in line to scale upwards.

Losirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use standard 4’ x 2’ x 1’ Zoo Med Low Boys with Eshopps Eclipse Over Flows for frag farming.
For $180 bucks, perfect to grow out stuff.

You can just keep adding another frag tank in line to scale upwards.
how does one acquire a low boy? all i've seen is pickup only

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, when I add one, I order it from my closest LFS, and they have it shipped to them, then I put it in my back seat, not overly big or heavy.
Just picked up another yesterday and drilled it today.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how does one acquire a low boy? all i've seen is pickup only

If you have any good reptile stores near you check them out. At least around me a couple of the reptile stores stock them, bit never the fish stores. They also may be more likely to already get zoo med stuff and more likely to be willing to order for you.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert but this works for me.
Whatever size tank you want..sand or no sand is up to you but I always have some live rock. I do feel like sand could add to the biodiversity to it being that zoas like a little dirtier water and don't require a ton of flow. My tanks run about 7-11 ppm nitrate and .03-.1 phosphate. Always go lower lighting and work up by zoa height or light intensity. I spot feed zoas/palys reef roids about twice a week, some seem to eat it and others seem indifferent. Half dose of red sea ab+ at night and 5 ml acropwer in the morning on 125 gallon. Alk 8-8.3, cal 425-450, ph 8-8.3, mag 1500 temp 78ish. I also hit them with some high flow for a few minutes (turkey baster works too) to knock off any loose sediment a couple times a week. Don't know if all this is the recipe for success but my zoas grow like crazy. Hope it helps give an idea..all tanks are different.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.0%
Back