Zoa growing off a xenia stem

Mmsetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever here of a zoa polyp attaching and growing on a xenia stem? It is on a spot that is impossible to photograph but it looks exactly like that.

If so, should I just let it go? I would love to take advantage of the zoa hitch hiker and get it going on a piece of rock.

Weird

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas will attach to anything that they can. I would certainly take it off if you want the Xenia to continue.

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, agreed with the post above, wish I still had a pic!!!! I've had maybe 4-5 heads on a live snail??

jasonp87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds cool. Closest I have had is an aiptasia that rode around on a turbo snail. Maybe I could frag some zoas and attach them to a snail, that may be pretty cool. I'll probably start with something cheap though.

OP
OP
M

Mmsetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, how do I get it off? Can I cut that branch of the xenia off then pull off the zoa and glue it to another piece of rock?

jasonp87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, how do I get it off? Can I cut that branch of the xenia off then pull off the zoa and glue it to another piece of rock?

You may be able to kind of scrape it off. I'm sure the stock of the xenia isn't a great bonding surface since it's so smooth. After you get it off you can just glue to zoa to something else.

OP
OP
M

Mmsetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update- I cut off the small piece of xenia that the zoa was attached to. I now have a new adventure in my tank with a beautiful zoa colony beginning- pink inside with light purple outside. Why I love this hobbie!

nckolasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update- I cut off the small piece of xenia that the zoa was attached to. I now have a new adventure in my tank with a beautiful zoa colony beginning- pink inside with light purple outside. Why I love this hobbie!
So I have this now too. Did you literally just cut it off and glue it to another surface?

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 46 59.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back