Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I've got several zoa frags with heads getting super, super small. they aren't melting or dying but the heads are maybe 1/2 to 1/3 the size they were months ago. I have recently had a cyan outbreak but they were shrinking in size before this. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Biocube 32 Led
N03 - 0
No2 - 0
Calcium - 520 ppm
pH - 8.0
Ammonia - 0
Temp - 26. 4 C

Light schedule:

Channel 1 - 9Am - 5Pm
Channel 2 - 8:30 AM - 5:30.PM
Channel 3 (blue) - 4:30 PM - 11:00 PM

They've done fine with this light schedule for months now.

Have a massive torch coral and blasto which are doing fine, but my candy canes and my super small hammer coral are kinda mad right now as well for some reason.

@footgal because you always no what to do. Only fish in the tank are clowns. Have Cerith, astrea, nassarius snails. Crab wise I have a scarlet hermit, zebra hermit, blue leg hermit, and orange/blue leg hermit (one of each). Also a medium sized sand sifting conch. all have been in there months and this is a recent issue.

Edit: pH recently fell to 7.8, everything looked fine at this range then I attempted to increase to 8.0/8.2 range. This is when everything started to close and look mad. Shrinking was occurring before this.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your phosphates at? And what are you using for testing.... if your nitrates are truly at 0 then you could be starving your zoanthids... typically I keep my nitrates at 15-20 ish, and phosphates at .2 or at least under .3 ideally far below that but softies will appreciate these levels

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your phosphates at? And what are you using for testing.... if your nitrates are truly at 0 then you could be starving your zoanthids... typically I keep my nitrates at 15-20 ish, and phosphates at .2 or at least under .3 ideally far below that but softies will appreciate these levels
I dont have a phosphate test kit. Im using an API kit for nitrate measurement but imo pretty sure theyre 0. I run a skimmer and dont feed very heavily. Would stopping my skimmer and feeding a little heavier help? also how to I raise phosphates?

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a phosphate test kit. Im using an API kit for nitrate measurement but imo pretty sure theyre 0. I run a skimmer and dont feed very heavily. Would stopping my skimmer and feeding a little heavier help? also how to I raise phosphates?
Yeah I mean you don’t have to stop skimming completely put it on a timer have it skim half the day and shut off at night maybe that’ll help or increase feedings if it’s too much of a hassle to feed get an auto fish feeder for like 20$ that’s what I do I feed pellets

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What footgal said.

Zoas and palys want some nutrients. Every zoa garden ive had requires nitrate no lower than 5 and a phosphate no lower than .03 or they shrink and receed.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Usually when I see zoas shrinking, its a nutrient issue :). Feed more and you should see an improvement in a couple weeks. Reefroids will give your tank a quick boost but be careful to not overuse them
Thanks footgal, I dont have any reef roads but I usually feed the "excess" dust that comes off my mysis cubes as zoa food. ill also stop skimming for now.

FrostyFrags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are a coral only tank, I would add nitrate directly. Most dried coral foods I use and if are your primary food will tend to raise Phosphate higher than Nitrate.

I personally had really high Phos and basically 0 nitrate. Overtime this has flipped and Phos now sits at around and Nitrate is between 3-5ppm. Once hitting these levels I still do minor Nitrate dosing to maintain that as my target feeding alone does not keep that level.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Usually when I see zoas shrinking, its a nutrient issue :). Feed more and you should see an improvement in a couple weeks. Reefroids will give your tank a quick boost but be careful to not overuse them
I went today and picked up some amino acids by Kent marine (now coralife). I am using those and a phyto supplement which contains essential elements. I am also feeding the dust off the mysis. Is this enough you think to attempt to bring them back to regular size? Its only certain colonies doing this. Some of them have closed and not been open for a week or two but haven't shrunk or melted or anything as well. Ive done several water changes. Ive probably changed the water completely over since they started acing strange.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this issue myself for awhile. I cannot keep nitrates or phosphates in my tank,and most but not all zoa's have dulled out and shrunken considerably.

I'm highly considering ESV Nitrates in a bottle,you should look into it.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this issue myself for awhile. I cannot keep nitrates or phosphates in my tank,and most but not all zoa's have dulled out and shrunken considerably.

I'm highly considering ESV Nitrates in a bottle,you should look into it.
Ill check into that. Maybe increasing nitrates will help them recover.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went today and picked up some amino acids by Kent marine (now coralife). I am using those and a phyto supplement which contains essential elements. I am also feeding the dust off the mysis. Is this enough you think to attempt to bring them back to regular size? Its only certain colonies doing this. Some of them have closed and not been open for a week or two but haven't shrunk or melted or anything as well. Ive done several water changes. Ive probably changed the water completely over since they started acing strange.
I think that’s good. Please don’t dose a whole bunch super fast to fix the issue, slow and steady is the way to go :). If you increase too quickly (like I just did with my tank) then you’ll get tons of nasty algae (hair, bubble, cyano) that you’ll have to deal with

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to say the suggested dose is 1 drop per gallon,if I'm not mistaken.

I would add the recommended dose,test the next day,then wait a few days and test again and dose according to that and whatever gets and keeps you at your wanted ppm of nitrates.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill check into that. Maybe increasing nitrates will help them recover.
Before you go crazy and buy all these supplements just feed a little more your fish won’t hate you for it and it helps raise nutrients if frequent feedings aren’t helping then go with coral food and dosing etc

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that’s good. Please don’t dose a whole bunch super fast to fix the issue, slow and steady is the way to go :). If you increase too quickly (like I just did with my tank) then you’ll get tons of nasty algae (hair, bubble, cyano) that you’ll have to deal with
I never do. I’ve used this basically the whole time I’ve been reefing. I actually ran out a few months ago ans just never got anymore. While I had it dosing everything looked great. Usually do tsp every two days.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 46.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back