Zoa Polyp Growth

Jayh86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all. What is this growing on the Zoa polyp. Is this the start of aphasia? It’s on the actual polyp not the plug.
B3357195-204C-4C8B-B447-E43DDEB90775.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Jayh86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell for sure from the pic what it is, but doesn't look like a zoa polyp. Possibly aptasia

I thought it maybe. I think it’s now gone. I removed the frag, removed the head of the Aiptasia while in a separate jug of tank water and then used super glue over the area to seal it. Drag is back in and the Zoa is already opened again :)

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear, sounds like you should be good to go. I've never had to deal with aptasia myself, so might want to keep an eye on it and see if it remains good to go for a little while.

OP
OP
J

Jayh86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear, sounds like you should be good to go. I've never had to deal with aptasia myself, so might want to keep an eye on it and see if it remains good to go for a little while.

I haven’t dealt with it as such. I had a piece of live rock once that sprouted maybe 15 Aiptasia heads, huge ones and I’m sure loads that were too small too see... I gave up with that and just removed the rock immediately

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call on removing the rock. I'd hate to spread some pest in my tank by adding a rock. I know I don't plan on using any live rock anymore. I know the stuff I have is good, so I'll just used bleached dry rock and let me existing rock seed the new stuff when it's ready. Since you found what might have been an aptasia on the zoa frag, I'd sugest taking a close look at your tank and see if you can see any others on other frags or rocks. Best to catch it early before it gets bad for sure.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back