Zoa polyps brown/red

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not exactly new to reefing but don’t have a good handle on what the heck this is. My white zombie zoa have started turning a brown/red color on the polyp when they are closed. I need to know what it is and how to help. Whatever is won’t come off with a hard water spray.

image.jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't a clue but does it open and stay open regularly.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't a clue but does it open and stay open regularly.
It did in my biocube but the dang thing cracked and I’ve had to move to an old tank while waiting on my new one. They tried to open in this tank a few times but kept getting scared by crabs. Is this something that can kill them? How do I get rid of it? I only paid 5$ for them at a shop going out of business and REALLY want to get them going. They’ve been in this old tank about a week.

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It did in my biocube but the dang thing cracked and I’ve had to move to an old tank while waiting on my new one. They tried to open in this tank a few times but kept getting scared by crabs. Is this something that can kill them? How do I get rid of it? I only paid 5$ for them at a shop going out of business and REALLY want to get them going. They’ve been in this old tank about a week.
Higher ends can stay closed for a longer amount of time and open randomly. Be careful though, they tend to burn more easily. May I ask your tank params? Do you keep any other zoas in the tank? Are the other zoas closed as well?

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher ends can stay closed for a longer amount of time and open randomly. Be careful though, they tend to burn more easily. May I ask your tank params? Do you keep any other zoas in the tank? Are the other zoas closed as well?
I have four other colonies. None as expensive as these. My parameters are:

NItrate-5-10 ppm
Nitrite-0
Ammonia-0
Ph-8.0/8.2 (kinda colorblind in the blue spectrum so not sure)

I can’t test anything else but I have a hammer, candy canes (two sets), toadstool leathers (just put these in today), and a blasto and everything else is doing fine or is open. Attaching a pic of the tank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 43

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice it’s at the highest point of your rock, your params look normal, maybe the lighting intensity is just to much for them. I would get a frag rack or hang away from critters like crabs and put them at a good height in your tank to open.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice it’s at the highest point of your rock, your params look normal, maybe the lighting intensity is just to much for them. I would get a frag rack or hang away from critters like crabs and put them at a good height in your tank to open.
I just moved them that high. They were like an inch from the sand and kept getting knocked over and stepped on by my stupid crabs.

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved them that high. They were like an inch from the sand and kept getting knocked over and stepped on by my stupid crabs.
I wouldn’t put them at the tippy top, further stress them out, I would get a frag rack and put them 2-3 inches of the sand bed.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back