ZOA Won't Open Up

eantucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a nuvo fusion 20 set up for about a year now and needed some help. I have a clownfish, cardinal, fire shrimp, around 8 crabs and 5 snails. Running no protein skimmer... just a refugium, filter media and a radion light.

Decided to start with a zoa as my first coral about a month ago. After dipping and placing on the sand bed, it shriveled up and has not come back out since. I have placed it in low light, high light, low flow, high flow. Does anyone know what is wrong with the coral? I will place parameters below.

Salinity: 35 ppm
Temperature: ranges from 77-79 F
pH: 8.3
Nitrate: 0
Calcium: 470 - 490
Magnesium: 1410
ALK: 8.6

Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 4.22.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 4.21.59 PM.png

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!

The coral pictured is Goniopora, here’s an informational link for their care requirements.

I was just about to say that looks more like a goni. They're definitely more difficult to care for than zoanthids, so you might consider trading it back in where you got it and getting some actual zoas.

Also regardless of the coral, once you place it somewhere you need to give it some time to settle in to see if it likes that spot. Leave it there for like a week or two. If you're constantly moving a coral you just added to your tank, you're basically hitting the reset button every time you move it, especially if it's only been in that spot for a day or two.

If you do plan on keeping the goni, they tend to like low to moderate flow and lower lighting. They also greatly appreciate feeding small particulate food, something like reef roids or gonipower.

Best of luck to you!

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it's getting hit by too much flow. I would leave it where it is. Try to alter the water flow in the tank so it isn't getting hit so much. See if it opens up more after that. It looks like it wants to open in these pics. Too much water current keeps this type of coral withdrawn.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back