Oscaror

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sig line tho!
MY ACROPORA DON'T! MY ACROPORA DON'T! MY ACROPORA DON'T WANT NONE UNLESS THEY'RE RADIONS!

Frag named stag used to live in south asia
was in a guys tank that was full of aptasia
gave it to a vendor now he lived in a frag tank
some guy walked into the store, and he bought it for two grand
now that's a real real real
obsession, when his wife hears blood will spill
his wife shouted "IS THAT A NEW FRAG PHIL?!"
on the table laid the vendors bill
and just like that they split

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others have said, it takes a lot of time to get a large garden going! And If you read on JPS threads I believe he says he keeps all his zoa colonies on plugs elevated off the rocks for easy removal/trimming. The best thing iv found is to set it and forget it. I had some bambams, Radioactive dragoneyes and eagle eyes glued to a good sized rock, after about 6 months they've covered the whole thing. The more you start with, the faster they grow.

Keep in mind, palys will shade out the smaller and lower lying zoas, so keep zoas with zoas and palys with palys.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Zoa gardens! Trying to start one of my own. I've been collecting polyps here and there, no names mostly, then gluing the polyps directly to my base rock. Rock measures maybe a foot across and a foot tall. Have several more to add, giving each type a few square inches. Looking forward to whatever evolves.
Zoa_Garden_Rock.jpg

OP
OP
Oscaror

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others have said, it takes a lot of time to get a large garden going! And If you read on JPS threads I believe he says he keeps all his zoa colonies on plugs elevated off the rocks for easy removal/trimming. The best thing iv found is to set it and forget it. I had some bambams, Radioactive dragoneyes and eagle eyes glued to a good sized rock, after about 6 months they've covered the whole thing. The more you start with, the faster they grow.

Keep in mind, palys will shade out the smaller and lower lying zoas, so keep zoas with zoas and palys with palys.
\

zoas with zoas and palys with palys? Don't tell me how to live my life!!! Jk don't some palys not raise as much as others? I don't see magicians doing it ever.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oscaror

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Zoa gardens! Trying to start one of my own. I've been collecting polyps here and there, no names mostly, then gluing the polyps directly to my base rock. Rock measures maybe a foot across and a foot tall. Have several more to add, giving each type a few square inches. Looking forward to whatever evolves. Zoa_Garden_Rock.jpg
Well good luck! What do you have right now? I see some bright oranges on that rock, but the zoas are too small in the picture.

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PE's tend to not expand their stalks as much I've noticed, but When I had Gobstoppers next to eagle eyes in a large amount the gobstoppers would expand their stalks and shade out the eagles and eventually grow over them.

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great point Paul. Always a good idea to know the growth habits of a particular zoa before finding a permanent location. For instance, Mohawks and Pink+Golds will snuff out slower growing polyps in a matter of weeks.

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my acropora don't! My acropora don't! My acropora don't want none unless they're radions!

frag named stag used to live in south asia
was in a guys tank that was full of aptasia
gave it to a vendor now he lived in a frag tank
some guy walked into the store, and he bought it for two grand
now that's a real real real
obsession, when his wife hears blood will spill
his wife shouted "is that a new frag phil?!"
on the table laid the vendors bill
and just like that they split

lol awesome lyrics!

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I've been out of town and couldn't use cellphone. My tank was started with single polyps and a lot of patience. Just look at them good and if anything looks bad move it.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well good luck! What do you have right now? I see some bright oranges on that rock, but the zoas are too small in the picture.
Top center are some Bam Bam's. I bought three polyps about a month ago, and they've doubled now. To the right of the Bam Bam's are some Fire and Ice. In the center are some Darth Mauls, or so they were sold. They're not as well patterned as most Mauls I see. In the lower left of the pic are some "Eyes" of one sort or another. Dragon, Eagle, I'm not sure. My most recent addition were two Rasta polyps, my favorite, in the middle left of the picture. There's some algae on that plug that my snails had not cleaned up at the time. I have several other frag plugs, but have no idea what they are. I've yet to figure out how to un-mount those to put them in the garden.

tuna_bullet

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just stack your frags by each other I was goofing off last night and piled a few in my frag tank next to each other here is the pic. Also I like gluing different zoas to sea shells and watching them cluster on the shell...
IMG_4355.CR2.jpg

OP
OP
Oscaror

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol awesome lyrics!

Thanks lol

Sorry I've been out of town and couldn't use cellphone. My tank was started with single polyps and a lot of patience. Just look at them good and if anything looks bad move it.

You mean something looks bad as in is trying to grow all over the rock? Btw thanks for commenting on this thread, you have an amazing zoa collection!

Top center are some Bam Bam's. I bought three polyps about a month ago, and they've doubled now. To the right of the Bam Bam's are some Fire and Ice. In the center are some Darth Mauls, or so they were sold. They're not as well patterned as most Mauls I see. In the lower left of the pic are some "Eyes" of one sort or another. Dragon, Eagle, I'm not sure. My most recent addition were two Rasta polyps, my favorite, in the middle left of the picture. There's some algae on that plug that my snails had not cleaned up at the time. I have several other frag plugs, but have no idea what they are. I've yet to figure out how to un-mount those to put them in the garden.

Darth mauls? Awesome! I love your selection.

just stack your frags by each other I was goofing off last night and piled a few in my frag tank next to each other here is the pic. Also I like gluing different zoas to sea shells and watching them cluster on the shell... IMG_4355.CR2.jpg

Thanks for the advice! Dang that is beautiful! What are the green ones with the pink in the middle in the bottom right?

I just found this --->:flypig:
That is amazing

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oscaror

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BUMP
Nobody has anymore tips, any zoa gardens to show off?

Schmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im working on putting a bunch together currently. A little worried about the ones that grow slow getting dominated. Ive decided to put the slow growers seperately and let them grow out a bit before adding to the rest. Just got rid of four anemone so I can focus on SPS and zoas...

ZoaGarden.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back