Zoanthids covered in cyano

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my zoa frags have a lot of cyano growing over them and on the polyps as well. I tried brushing off the plugs with a soft toothbrush and a turkey baster, but it doesn't seem to have made much difference. Is there anything else I can do to help them? I saw some references to a hydrogen peroxide dip, but not sure if that'd be beneficial.

Obviously the cyano in the system as a whole needs to be resolved but I'm concerned about the survival of these particular frags in the short term, since they're not opening currently. Thanks!

OP
OP
saltcats

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide dips have worked for me. Combine with toothbrush.
Thanks - do you have a particular strategy that went well? I've seen everything from "9 parts tank water:1part H2o2" to "1 part RODI:1 part H2o2" to "pure h2o2", not sure where to start!

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano is everywhere on earth I believe so don't worry that it's in your tank is my opinion... Making the environment less favorable is how you control it. Large patches can be siphoned out and then working on flow and nutrient export is key imo. Nutrient exporting via manual removal, filtration, coral uptake, bacteria, etc. can all be manipulated to make things less favorable for cyano and more favorable for coral. A shift must happen. As far as on the zoa...maybe blast it with some water to knock off the cyano (which should come off relatively easy)... Just my thoughts based on heresay and conjecture. Carry on. :) Good luck!

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turkey baster should blow it off if it is cyano.

Anyway:

Tolerance
Dip 5 minutes Milliliters of Hydrogen Peroxide 3% to 1 Liter of Seawater. Type of Cnidarian

Low 20-40ml
Acropora (tolerance varies widely among species), Montipora, Astreopora, Duncanopsammia, Turbinaria, Galaxia, Cyhpastrea, (*Alveopora)(**Hydnophora) Echinophyllia, Mycedium, Oxypora, Tubastrea,

Low/Med 50-70ml
Pocillopora, Seriatopora, Stylophora, Caulastrea, Clavularia, Pachyclavularia, Sympodium, Cespitularia, Yellow Leathers, Pachyceris, Echinpora, Leptoseris, Pectinia, Psammacora

Medium 80-120ml
Porites, Xenia, Brown Leathers, Pavona, Fungiids, Heliofungia,

Med/High 130-200ml
Goniopora, Favia, Favites, Goniastrea, Platygyra, Leptastrea, Blastomussa, Cynarina, Physogyra, Plerogyra, Symphyllia, Sinularia, Corallimorpharian (Mushroom Anemone)

High 210-350ml
Zoanthids, Palythoa, Scolymia, Acansthstrea, Micromussa, Lobophyllia, Euphyllia, Catalaphyllia, Trachyphyllia,

Coral can be dipped longer in a lower concentrate solution. 25% concentrate for up to 20 minutes for deep, persistent algae or bacterial infections, or necrotic areas.

Zoas love peroxide dip. Don't blow off the slime just let them soak. Repeat in a few days if needed.

OP
OP
saltcats

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano is everywhere on earth I believe so don't worry that it's in your tank is my opinion... Making the environment less favorable is how you control it. Large patches can be siphoned out and then working on flow and nutrient export is key imo. Nutrient exporting via manual removal, filtration, coral uptake, bacteria, etc. can all be manipulated to make things less favorable for cyano and more favorable for coral. A shift must happen. As far as on the zoa...maybe blast it with some water to knock off the cyano (which should come off relatively easy)... Just my thoughts based on heresay and conjecture. Carry on. :) Good luck!
Thanks, yeah I'm planning to tackle it overall by manual removal and regular water changes. I'm just coming out of a dinos outbreak and seems the cyano has taken its place, so I'm trying to be mindful not to drop my nutrients too far and dive straight back into dinos.
Turkey baster didn't seem to shift this stuff, but it does look like cyano to me. I'll try to get a pic. Thanks!

Turkey baster should blow it off if it is cyano.

Anyway:

Tolerance
Dip 5 minutes Milliliters of Hydrogen Peroxide 3% to 1 Liter of Seawater. Type of Cnidarian

Low 20-40ml
Acropora (tolerance varies widely among species), Montipora, Astreopora, Duncanopsammia, Turbinaria, Galaxia, Cyhpastrea, (*Alveopora)(**Hydnophora) Echinophyllia, Mycedium, Oxypora, Tubastrea,

Low/Med 50-70ml
Pocillopora, Seriatopora, Stylophora, Caulastrea, Clavularia, Pachyclavularia, Sympodium, Cespitularia, Yellow Leathers, Pachyceris, Echinpora, Leptoseris, Pectinia, Psammacora

Medium 80-120ml
Porites, Xenia, Brown Leathers, Pavona, Fungiids, Heliofungia,

Med/High 130-200ml
Goniopora, Favia, Favites, Goniastrea, Platygyra, Leptastrea, Blastomussa, Cynarina, Physogyra, Plerogyra, Symphyllia, Sinularia, Corallimorpharian (Mushroom Anemone)

High 210-350ml
Zoanthids, Palythoa, Scolymia, Acansthstrea, Micromussa, Lobophyllia, Euphyllia, Catalaphyllia, Trachyphyllia,

Coral can be dipped longer in a lower concentrate solution. 25% concentrate for up to 20 minutes for deep, persistent algae or bacterial infections, or necrotic areas.

Zoas love peroxide dip. Don't blow off the slime just let them soak. Repeat in a few days if needed.
Thanks very much! I had seen this chart before but forgotten it completely, appreciate the info! It's my very first frag that's affected worst so I'd hate to lose them.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 23 16.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 94 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back